Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135996 | Designers: 11551                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default HEY MUSIC FANS: Lo-Fi or Polished sound?

I'm recording an album for my band right now. I'm doing all the production and recording on it and I had a question for you all...

To preface: We are a band that plays a revivalist take on rock 'n' roll / garage / psych etc. along the lines of The Stooges, The Beatles, MC5, Buddy Holly, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, but also with newer influences like The White Stripes, Black Mountain, Wolfmother, Dead Meadow, etc.etc.

On one hand we had an idea for a faux-concept record where we can only use 8 tracks per song (like 2" tape), record / mix in mono, and only use pre-1979 gear and mics. Master it to sound like it could have been taken out of a 60's record collection.

On the other hand, we could use pro-tools, high-end mics, VST plug-ins, Mastering suite software, etc and get a really polished sound.

This is going to be our second record and we're really searching for a sound. The concept would be great for our 'image' but might come across gimmicky.

The poslished sound could come across like corporate bullshit, and since we are punk guys, that wouldn't work either. I need to find a middle ground, maybe?

what do you think?

Comments

I think asking us is weird.

Premium Member

Comments

Between this and graffiti you are on a douche roll. Post a poster contest for the trifecta.
    Super-absorbant, for those messy spills:
    Forbidden Eye Design | Chateau Vulgaria

Comments

I mean holy shit.

"image"?

As a producer, it's nice to have a gauge for listeners? How is that weird? I have a lot of options and asking advice from people that have been listening to music longer than me seemed like a good idea at the time..

Douche or not, truth is truth. Image matters in the music industry and I don't care what anyone says, you can't argue that shit.

Premium Member

Comments

"Punk guys" unwillingly take it up the keister in the joint.
    Super-absorbant, for those messy spills:
    Forbidden Eye Design | Chateau Vulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
    "Punk guys" unwillingly take it up the keister in the joint.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do my best to stay out of jail.

Comments

I know this will be controversial but... listen to the production on Grace by Jeff Buckley. I am aware that from your influences you won't sound anything like that but in terms of production its not polished. You can hear everything perfectly in the mix, so that may give you some scope for your work bridging a middle ground between an indie and commercial sound.

Quote Originally Posted by twoducksdisco View Post
    I know this will be controversial but... listen to the production on Grace by Jeff Buckley. I am aware that from your influences you won't sound anything like that but in terms of production its not polished. You can hear everything perfectly in the mix, so that may give you some scope for your work bridging a middle ground between an indie and commercial sound.

Thank you so much. I will check out that record right now.

Whatever would best convey your ideas is the way to go. If you're not sure what would work best then you probably haven't thought out your ideas sufficiently.