Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11482                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Need some input on a logo

I have a couple projects this summer, including building my home poster screenprinting equipment.

But another is designing and screenprinting some shirts with my wife. Although she studied music, quirky, fashion forward clothing seem to be her passion. But the problem with that, many times its hard to find what she wants and is also modest (Which is something thats important to her.)

I suggested "Why don't we just make what you want?"
    So, we are running with that idea. And this is where I need a couple opinions about the name we want to go with. We are going to call it "Local Stuff". But most of my life, I've intentionally miss-spelled "stuff" to "stough". I don't really know why, but all my friends do it too.

My question is, do you think that keeping the "stough" is too weird, or would people get it? There really isn't much to get, but I don't want people pronouncing it "Stooogh".

I'm going to be putting together the logo and some of the designs this week and hopefully print soon.

Thanks for your input.

Premium Member

Comments

to be honest, i have a very short attention span. i read the first paragraph or so then skimmed until i saw "'stough' is too weird" and said what the hell is stoog? so in my case, no it wouldn't work.

then again, i have numerous times proven that i am an idiot with the english language.

Banned
    Comments

Nice post!

Comments

being a slow non-native speaker, i wouldn't immediately get that stough meant stuff. maybe after a while, but you might already have had lost my attention, or even better i would be interested in your stough by looking at it and not your logo.

it would be cool if you post up the design when it's done!

Premium Member

Comments

Being a simple type of guy, I first said "stoog", however, now that I know how it's supposed to be pronounced i feel more like a sophisticated 'insider' and that makes me feel extra spesh. (and as some advertising people say 'that's a good thing, brand identity etc etc...)
    a slightly ex-centric name for slightly ex-centric products is a good thing I'd think...

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely post the drafts on here to see what you guys think. I have a couple other projects right now, but in a week or two I hope to get this logo pounded out. But yes, the eccentric kind of feel would be a good one for the kind of branding I would want.

Premium Member

Comments

The thing about "ough" is that it makes a lot of different sounds depending the the preceding letters. Cough. Dough. Though. Through. Plough. Slough. If you had more context it might be more obvious right away. "Tough Stough" maybe works, but with "Local" I'm doubtful many people would get it quickly.

As someone who has also working in marketing during my time as a designer, I feel that putting the word "stuff" in your business name/product title at ALL instantly makes it sound cheap and unimportant. "Local Stuff" ??? That tells me literally next to nothing about what you are making. "Oh whatever, just stuff." What's local about it? Images of local landmarks? The shirts are woven and sewn locally? Huh?

You use the words "passion" and "important" when talking about this project, and then call it "stuff". (I will not even comment on trying to spell it "Stough"... ) I think it's a fantastic idea to do something like this, but you should really spend some time brainstorming a better name, which I imagine will also lead to a better logo. A better name and a better logo = more interest = more $$. I wouldn't look twice at a store or a booth at a craft market called "Local Stuff".

But then again, I'm a fucking asshole.