Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135960 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Comments

Default The Show Must Go On

Okeedokee...Me and the FireHouse guys are gonna set up a big group poster show here in San Francisco this fall. We been talking about it for a while and will have the whole thing together pretty soon.

It might be a 'gallery' type of thing, where
    the stuff is hung up and one entity will deal with selling your stuff. That would be a wholesale consignment scenario.

or...I would personally prefer a 'convention'
    1 or 2 day weekend thing where people can come down and set up tables and peddle their shit.

You could possibly make more money that way and meet potential clients and collectors, but each participant would have to pay some small fee to participate to cover the expenses of the hall.

And I will 'officially ban' dealers. This would be ONLY the artists or their personal reps allowed to exhibit and sell.i WILL notify all the dealers so they can come and buy stuff or whatever. But NO DEALERS selling....unless you vote otherwise.

Now...I would like to hear from you if you are interested: which event you prefer 'exhibition' or 'convention'.

Please refrain from going off topic, as I will 'tally' a vote and set this up as long as maybe we can get 10-15 participants.

Thanks frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kozik on 2002-06-05 17:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kozik on 2002-06-05 20:14 ]</font>

Comments

While I personally can't participate in this first one (I've only done 4 posters w/ small print runs), it seems like a great idea. Who knows how much it could grow if done right? Plus artists would get to meet one another, which could be very inspiring.

Premium Member

Comments

Let me know more when you know more...I would be interested in that.
    I think I would prefer the convention
    setting better...even though I have
    never shown my work at a show
    before...I like talking to the
    artist and dealing with them personally.

Premium Member

Comments

Sounds like a cool idea. I definitely want to be a part of it. Let me know where I sign up. Gallery show or convention...you win either way. I guess I'd lean towards the convention aspect.
    This idea has been batted around before. I hope to see it come together this time. Let me know what I can do to help.

Comments

The venue will be (95%0 The Transmission Theatre in SOMA, San Francisco.It's a really
    decent spot.

We will be doing it the last week or weekend of September. We will advertise locally in all the weeklies and in LA, San Jose,Sacto etc. I'll also contact as many magazines and websites as possible.

So far we have these artists for sure:

Kozik
    Forbes
    Firehouse
    Gigart
    Jermaine Rogers
    Jeff Kleinsmith
    Ewing
    Gigposters(maybe)
    Drowning Creek
    Guy Burwell
    Factor27(maybe)
    Maximum Flouride
    Mike King
    Blindeye AKA Murphy
    Jagmo
    Shadowland Studios(maybe)
    Jeral Tidwell
    Scrojo
    Engine House 13 (maybe)
    Jared Connor
    Darren Grealish
    Seripop
    Chris Shaw
    Kevin 'Kraftie' Jones
    Tara McPherson
    Richie (the itch) Goodtimes
    Justin Hampton
    DelanoRock
    Print Mafia
    Emek
    Arminski
    Uncle Charlie
    Electric Frankenstien
    Naomi from Japan (Go South)
    Herzik
    Jay Volmar
    Jim Altieri

THATS IT!

anyone ding this FOR SURE email me at my real email address

KozikF@netscape.net

I figure you chipping in 50 to 100 dollars should cover it.

I figure a Friday/Saturday thing.

At the very least we could have a hell of a party!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kozik on 2002-07-09 122 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kozik on 2002-07-09 13:35 ]</font>

Comments

oh..there's room for about 30 booths.

Comments

this is soooo fuckin tempting.
    right no all the posters i have done have been mostly for reall small local/regional bands or my own bands..
    and i doubt anyone wants that..
    i'll try to smoke abit o' cock and get some more high profile gigs, big name bands, posters that will sell to people in sf..
    cuz who the hell outside of eastern canada has heard of kitchens and bathrooms?
    no one.
    sadly, the bigger promoters are cheaper and more anal than the diy punk ones.

Comments

yea...then everybody can take a big picture together...like the one in the Art Of Rock book.
    and Ill forego posters at my table and set up a concession stand.
    Sardine po-boys.
    Sardine po-boys and milk.

Comments

Will there be significant press? Im sure there will.
    Of course, the onpoint guys in SF would have to do a bit more groundwerk.
    Also, with all of us really pushing it to our respective 'followings and our respective mailing lists, this could be really good.
    Its the first time it would have been done...on THIS scale, at least.
    Historic. ARMORY SHOW 1900 type stuff, eh Frank?
    In all seriousness...this can be VERY important. Very special.
    Some of you know that I tried to do something similar to this in Austin at this past SxSW, but it didnt work out. We had 10 guys or so already confirmed, including Kleinsmith, Hampton, Jeff Wood, Print Mafia, Ewing, and many others...and hadnt really even finalized the list. We had Clay and GIGPOSTERS were on board...Philaarts was even going to help sponsor it. It just didnt work out...mostle because of schedueling and 'red-tape'.
    Frank and FIREHOUSE tho have something here that wouldve blown that away. Im so excited.
    I recommend GIGPOSTERS being involved in some way...maybe Clay showing up and setting up a booth or something.
    We all schmooze Clay to death...but really...for a guy that was just looking to set up a cool site about posters, youve done something that Im not sure any of us can really grasp. Very important. EVen this thing Frank and the Firehouse cats are planning could not have had the impact that it will have...if not for this site. Clay, you are 'our' Roulin...
    Thank you.

Comments

Press is the easy part. We are just gonna push the 'Artists doing their own Art thing' and the pc prees out hear will pop massive wood all around. They love that ARTSY fuck the man thing. Although it would help if we had say at least one transgendered artist on board. Then it would literally make the covers of the local weekly. All kidding aside, a lot of newspaper and magazine people owe me a LOT of favors, so that's pretty easy, as is the Hall. The hardest part will be trusting y'all to SHOW UP!

Hell, I think I will even buy a keg or three so ARTISTS ONLY can have free beer. Plus, for you horndogs, the Mitchell Brothers Theatre is like, right next door.

hows that?