Hey folks. I've previously introduced myself in the Anything Goes forum, but now I'm ready to get my hands dirty. Although I am hoping to get some real instruction before too long, I decided I didn't want to be completely green going in.
One of the guitar forums I post at often features build threads where members post from start to finish their process of building (or heavily modifying) a guitar. So I thought I'd try the same thing here. Granted, this is old hat for most of you, but this might help other newbies, present and future.
I'm embarrassed to say exactly how long this Speedball Screen Printing Kit has been in my possession. It always looked like something I wanted to try, but the time never seemed right. So today is the day I get started. When I finish will depend on drying time and how many mistakes I make along the way. So let's get started!
The very first mistake I made was counting on the good folks at Speedball to get the spacing right for the screws that attach the hinges. I remedied this by moving the frame over a little and taping down the hinges so they wouldn't move on me too much. I jammed some business cards between the frame and the base because I had a feeling they weren't supposed to be butt up to one another. I first just jabbed a Philips head screw driver in the holes, cleared away some tape from the holes with an X-Acto knife and thought that would be enough. I decided to be a little more cautious and drill slight indents with my Dremel. My Dremel bit is way bigger than the screws so I was careful to only put very shallow holes in the wood, barely hitting the surface.
Even with all that preparation, my screws didn't go in perfectly straight, but we'll call it good enough.
Here we are abrading (that's the word I want, right?) the top of the screen in the kitchen sink.
The back. I used a little more trisodium phosphate here than I did on the front.
The screen standing up to dry. Not sure if this was right. Maybe I should have left it to dry with the back facing up so that it dried more evenly. Not sure it will matter here since the water is evaporating and not a chemical that needs to level off. I don't know if Cascade dish washer detergent is actually trisodium phosphate, but the instructions I have say it will work.
Smearing some ink around on paper, just to see what kind on consistency it has, how the colors blend, etc. Informal experimentation. This is Speedball acrylic ink that came with the kit. The colors I have to choose from are blue, red, yellow, and black. Sort of wish I had some white to mix colors down, but I'm not going to need it for this print anyway.