I'm taking a screen printing class at my alma mater, SVA and learning tons about the art and getting inspired.
My first print was a four color poster of a little zombie piece in my sketch book. I did a quick hand drawn text treatment and added a messy monster border than did some quick color separations on vellum with a Sharpie leaving the final output to be a surprise.
Here's the steps:
1. The artwork
2. Some of the transparencies.
3. First color, slate blue. The paper stuck to the screen every time (Noob fail) causing irregular registrations.
4. Registering the second color, transparent yellow.
5. Registering the second color, transparent yellow.
6. Pullin the squeegee.
7. Yellow ink down, two colors became three...
8. This is a dud (or so I thought - see later pics) Notice the yellow over blue gave us a nice sickly green.
9. Ready for the third color, transparent gray.
10. Getting the registration. The blue reg issues are starting to become bigger problems.
11. Transparent gray is down and we get three new colors; gray, dark blue, and tan.
12. Some steps are missing but here is the final color, black.
13. Out on the drying rack.
14. These two were disasters that are now my favorites. Notice the huge kiss mark on the one on the left, technically a bad thing but it actually looks real cool. It gives it a dirty, earthy look. The right side has a huge spot where I ran out of ink, another fail that turned out kinda cool.
15. Detail of awesome fail gray kiss mark.
16. This is one of the better prints. It has some registration issues and the color isn't fantastic but I'm real happy with how they came out and I learned a ton about screening.