Gig Posters

Posters: 156064 | Bands: 135791 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: Psystar?

Comments

Default Psystar?

I'm looking into purchasing a new Mac when someone pointed this out to me...

Psystar's Online Store - Open Computing Solutions featuring Mac OS X Leopard, Windows and Linux

Pros/Cons?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Other Mac-cloners may know their time is limited, but good 'ol Psystar just keeps on forging straight ahead -- despite being locked in a nasty legal battle with Apple that could result in it getting shut down any second now. Ignoring that (sophisticated looking) elephant in the corner for a moment, the company has released its latest model, called the Open(3). It sports your choice of processors ranging from a 2.8GHz Core2Duo E7400 up to a 2.53GHz Core2Quad Q8200, up to 4GB of memory, 1TB of storage, a 6x Blu-ray burner, and graphics from an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, all packaged in a slim case that, while not quite up to Cupertino standards, certainly looks a fair bit more visually appealing than its previous black boxes. Prices start at just $599, but tick all those option buttons and you'll be looking at something closer to $2,000 -- a lot, but close to $1,000 less than a comparably spec'd Mac Pro. Get 'em while you can.

AppleInsider | Psystar says its Mac OS X copies are legal by nature

Comments

...but close to $1,000 less...
    That there is where I'm attracted. HOWEVER, I'm worried that after a Apple OS Software Update it will it become useless or bug infested.

Premium Member

Comments

Getting mixed review from my tech friends. Says updating is difficult as Mac will do an update and then Psystar needs to issue one so it involves a few hurdles. He sent along this link of reviews: Reader Reviews: Psystar Open Computer

Comments

there are numerous resources that show you how to build a "hackintosh" its pretty simple you just need a copy of OS X and a free computer you dont mind futzing around with.

Comments

I ended up just buying some straight up Apple computers. I didn't want to take the gamble.