Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135209 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Coronado Studio Process Pics (Bernice Appelin-Williams)

I always love to check out work in progress on this site, so I thought it was about time we threw our hat in the ring.

We're Coronado Studio in Austin, Texas and we run a little nonprofit organization called the Serie Print Project. Every year we accept submissions from artists to participate in our 1-2 week residency program. These artists learn about the process of screen printing and create their own edition of art prints during their time with us. We then split the edition between the studio and the artist and go our separate ways. All of this is done at no cost to the artist.

We're primarily a Latino/Chicano based print shop (we actively promote that culture), but we're open to almost anyone/everything. This past week or so we've had the pleasure of hosting Bernice Appelin-Williams. Here's how the print has progressed so far:

background colors

coarse, 25 lpi black halftone

our camera couldn't capture this one, but there's a slight transparent blue over the left to center of the image. you can see it on the left where it hits the white of the paper.

blue halftone, also 25 lpi.

I'll post the rest later, it's time to head home for the day. :O

Premium Member

Comments

looking great so far...
    API ARTIST #217
    my posters

Comments

beautiful so far!

wow! i really like photo-print based stuff and this one is looking GOOD!

Premium Member

Comments

Man, this looks killer. And now I'm left in suspense...
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Premium Member

Comments

How large is it? Looks really nice, love the subtle blues.

Comments

This print is 22x30, but the image size is around 16x22. It's on Coventry Rag, 320 gsm I believe. We've actually had some trouble with coventry rag this year (they tell me their mill switched this year, and every couple of years or so the quality of the paper seems to suffer while the price keeps going up), so we're probably going to switch to something from Crane.

pinkish shapes!

super transparent tree... actually in real life it looks mostly like a shiny gloss, but there is some gray in there.

darker tree in the foreground

Thanks for the kind words Still one more layer to go...

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
    We've actually had some trouble with coventry rag this year (they tell me their mill switched this year, and every couple of years or so the quality of the paper seems to suffer while the price keeps going up), so we're probably going to switch to something from Crane.
    bummer. i love coventry rag.

rad print.

Comments

we used to use their 290, but the stacks of it would curl all the way back on themselves before we even printed. it just doesn't feel as sturdy as the old stuff.

we exchanged it all for the 320, but that stuff is still warping on us, even with a bunch of flattening with weights. The old stuff from 2-3 years ago is still dead flat.

we'll use what we have, but next year's stuff is probably going to be on Crane's Lettra. It feels more like the old coventry.

I was pretty much done with legion after I was lectured over the phone by their owner about how I didn't know anything about fine, 100% rag paper.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
    we used to use their 290, but the stacks of it would curl all the way back on themselves before we even printed. it just doesn't feel as sturdy as the old stuff.

we exchanged it all for the 320, but that stuff is still warping on us, even with a bunch of flattening with weights. The old stuff from 2-3 years ago is still dead flat.

we'll use what we have, but next year's stuff is probably going to be on Crane's Lettra. It feels more like the old coventry.

I was pretty much done with legion after I was lectured over the phone by their owner about how I didn't know anything about fine, 100% rag paper.
    you're the third person i've heard complain about Legion Paper recently.