Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135326 | Designers: 11495                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Quick Question to the Pros

So, Im new here,
    and new at doing this,
    as I usually do small time stuff for smaller bars, and in turn drink for free, but have just had a few offers come up for some bigger and better gigs. My Question is this -
    How much do I charge? and how much do I do?

If I am willing to get a certain amount of posters printed out in color AND black and white and do the footwork to the posh and more popular parts of town spreading the propaganda, what would be a fair price?
    AND what would be a fair price for 50 color 50 b&W
    100 color and 100 b&w, etc. etc.

Obviously, on average.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

search the threads...also google or search for graphic design price calculator...ultimately what you need to charge is what you need to survive.

Premium Member

Comments

Default first post, turkeys!

There's a lot to consider here and I am by no means an authority on the subject, but here's some thoughts:

Are you responsible for printing or just the art? Obviously there's a big difference there, even more so w/ different media. Make sure to stipulate that production costs are the responsibility of the client. (Or build in enough in your quote to cover them.)

If you're getting this thang moving along with some $ interest, taking some frugal commissions at first will expand your portfolio whilst allowing for Ramen noodles and the such, which can lead to more comfortable compensation down the line... don't be preoccupied with appearing amateurish or getting 'locked in' to a price in the future. I don't think those are significant considerations in the gig poster (vs. corporate etc. graphic design where they definitely are).

Justin's suggestion to take a look at available market references is always a good idea but his last line is even wiser. The last thing you want to do is quote something close to a price, even a low-end one, you find in the GAG P/E* and lose a client b/c of your "ridiculous price". Been there! (Never for a poster though.)

*The Graphic Artists Guild Pricing & Ethical Guidelines\Handbook.
    bakerprints.com | BP GP | BP twatter | BP facespace
    Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Kyle travels through time to help people. What the fuck do you do?