Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135996 | Designers: 11551                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Math rock ?

Default Math rock ?

Hi guys!

As a newbie (and european) there, i would like to know your feeling about math rock stuff in US.... Actualy there is a lot of awesome bands in UK.. Math rock with amazing vocals.

I put some links there, maybe it could interest you :

Tubelord
    MySpace.com - TUBELORD -new song up up and AWAY! - KINGSTON, UK - Alternative / Progressive / Salsa - www.myspace.com/tubelord

Colours
    MySpace.com - Colour - South London, UK - Pop / Alternative / Surf - www.myspace.com/colouruk

This town needs Gun
    MySpace.com - THIS TOWN NEEDS GUNS - Oxford, UK - Indie / Alternative - www.myspace.com/thistownneedsguns

Pennines
    MySpace.com - pennines - Norwich, UK - www.myspace.com/pennines

Is there any bands of this kind in US ?
    I'm intersted into it.

Comments

is math rock like "drive like jehu" or something

Premium Member

Comments

serious question, from someone who's band gets called 'math rock' by europeans: what makes math rock "math rock"?
    most of the time we never fish!

Comments

i was being serious too... it seems like i used to hear people talk about math rock like 8 years ago - and then didnt hear anything for a long time, and now it's in every one of philadelphia's alternative weekly's description of bands

Premium Member

Comments

on this last european tour, we really noticed, more than at other times, how eager bands are to be classified as "math rock" or "noise rock" or whatever. the band name never stands alone on a flyer. always, ALWAYS with a classification. it's like people don't try to start bands, they try to start EMO ROCK bands or NOISE ROCK bands. we thought it was weird.

Comments

Isn't Don Caballero supposedly "math rock"?

Quote Originally Posted by jayryan View Post
    serious question, from someone who's band gets called 'math rock' by europeans: what makes math rock "math rock"?
    Math rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Math rock is a rhythmically complex, guitar-based style of experimental rock music[1] that emerged in the late 1980s. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), angular melodies, and dissonant chords.[2]

A closely-related genre is post-rock, into which some of the same bands are classified; post-rock, however, tends to feature a "jazzier" drumming style. As well, the dissonance common to many math rock bands is not as common in the post-rock genre (though it is still very present in some of the music).

Comments

Yeha i thought like Don Cab and Fucking Champs. THere was a band on Jade Tree called Turing Machine too.

Premium Member

Comments

turing machine was awesome.

no, i know what math rock is supposed to be, supposedly. it just seems weird.

post rock is like math rock, but with jazzier drumming? wtf does that mean?

Hey guys...
    I just wanted to start a thread (my first on this board...) to share some good bands with you...
    I'm not really discussing about the definition of math rock, but for a foreigner, a clear classification could be usefull sometimes.
    I think there is a lot of great bands in UK actually, not very famous yet.
    It's why i've put some links .
    It's really influenced by all the chigago scene, and I would like to know if you have still bands of that kind in Us actually..;