Gig Posters

Posters: 154832 | Bands: 134938 | Designers: 11470                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Printing Photographs

I've searched these boards multiple times and a couple search engines, but I was just wondering if there was a quick way to photoshop a photograph for screen printing in one or two colors? Hopefully that is clear enough to answer.

Thanks for any help.

Premium Member

Comments

one color :

convert to greyscale, then to bitmap. you can use halftone screen to get good gradiation. LPI # depends on what type of printing you'll be doing (hand or auto), inks, screen mesh, and textile or flatstock.

for two colors, convert to CMYK, select all channels but black channel, compress into one, print that as your first color, then the black on top to have a duotone. follow one color steps on both layers, but do different angles. everyone uses different angles, search the boards for that.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

what screen mesh would be best for a frequency of 15 lines/inch

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by samwell.fusco View Post
    what screen mesh would be best for a frequency of 15 lines/inch
    Go the other way around.

What screen do you have and what kind of lpi can it handle.

Quote Originally Posted by windflame View Post
    Go the other way around.

What screen do you have and what kind of lpi can it handle.

what's the most detail i can get with a, say 280-300 mesh screen?

Premium Member

Comments

the equation i seem to remember is that your screen has to be at least 4x or 5x what your lpi is. i could be off, though. anyways, i think a 280 screen would be able to do some pretty detailed images.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Going for the finest halftone you can get in theory, with a given screen mesh, is a recipe for frustration and failure unless you really know what you're doing.

Make it easy on yourself. If you're screenprinting a halftone, it's a given that the halftone will be visible enough to be a graphical element itself, whether you like it or not.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Going for the finest halftone you can get in theory, with a given screen mesh, is a recipe for frustration and failure unless you really know what you're doing.

Make it easy on yourself. If you're screenprinting a halftone, it's a given that the halftone will be visible enough to be a graphical element itself, whether you like it or not.
    ding ding ding.

go with 10lpi.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post

I could not agree more. fine halftones = headaches.

i'm glad i got a reply from you crosshair. you are probably my biggest influence and i was curious about your image processing. the closest i got to super fine detail and multiple colors like your prints was seperating each and every color