Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135221 | Designers: 11482                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default best places to purchase equipment?

Where do most of you get stuff like screens, scoop coaters, screen cleaners, emulsion, drying racks, etc.? I've done a google search for most of this stuff and a lot of pages come up, but I don't know one place from another, if one is any better than the other. Plus I've tried to find old threads on this on here but no such luck. Any recommendations? Also, for printing on flatstock as opposed to fabric, most of the sites I've viewed are geared towards fabric printing. Any sites that are geared more towards flatstock? Or does that matter? I know that you have to use different types of screens for flatstock and fabric, what's the difference? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Premium Member

Comments

victory factory for screens and scoop coaters.

franmar for screen cleaners.

drying racks on ebay/craigslist.

emulsion, wherever really, depends on what you want.

230-305 mesh for flatstock, less for metallics (140ish)

diesel fuel printing for inks (speedball)
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Comments

adapted from nicholas wilson's list:

victory factory & or a local screen supply joint here called Tech Support (yeah, for real) for screens, squeegees, scoop coaters, emulsion and emulsion remover, and other cleaners.

drying racks on ebay/craigslist, i lucked out an answered the phone at the studio when an old printing shop was going out of business and selling off equipment and scored a big drying rack for $200.

195-305 mesh for flatstock, less for metallics (140ish)

artists and craftsmen, my local art supply store for inks (mostly speedball), they stock and order a ton of inks for the studio where i print so it's pretty quick and easy to get them in town. yay.

paper: occasionally online places like french & jerry's artarama (when they have a sale = bingo!) but mostly from a big commercial printer here.

it's all a cobbled-together supply list, i think that's true for most of us.

Comments

I make my own screens from the skin and bones of my vanquished foes and print with their blood.

I get my paper from work and emulsion online though.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

There is probably a local screen printing supply place in Champaign-Urbana somewhere. Go there.
    In Chicago, Screenworks Supply is good, and they ship. screens, coaters, transparency, emulsion, plastisols, various goop, sprays, inkjet transparency, all types of ill shit. I use them for everything but wb inks.
    For drying racks, contact Noah from Screen Print Exchange: Your Source for Used Silk Screen & Digital Printing Equipment, he's always got them. Helpful guy, digs posters.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Comments

Nazdar for emulsion, cleaners, etc.
    TW waterbased inks.
    Ebay for racks.
    Victory Factory for screens, sure scoops but AWT makes better scoops.
    Douthitt for pro exposure systems.
    LexJet for film
    Legion for art papers.

Comments

For most stuff (ink, squeegees, scoop coaters, emulsion), I go to my local supply store. They're out here in LA, but I think they ship: McLogan's (their site is pretty shitty, though).

But, I was recently given a gift certificate to silkscreeningsupplies.com, and got a bunch of stuff from them (screens, cleaning supplies, inkjet film). Shipping was fast, and I think the cost was pretty reasonable considering all the shit I bought. I will probably use them more in the future for things that aren't needed immediately.

As far as equipment goes, I built everything by hand: exposure unit, washout booth, vacuum table, print drying rack, even the table I print on. If you're just starting out, that's the only way to go unless you get REALLY lucky and buy out a dying business.

Premium Member

Comments

oh i've built/ am in the process of building most of the bigger stuff like washout booth, vacuum table, exposure unit. I'm looking to buy stuff I can't make myself like screens, scoop coaters, all that jazz. I figured most of you experienced folks have some good insight into where I should go for that stuff - the best quality places that won't rip you off. Thanks so far for all the info!

ok, here's a question: where can i get a counterweight that i can clamp onto the frame of my victory factory frame? i can't use my old pulley system in the new studio due to high ceilings, so i need something that has a little lead-weight type of thing on it.

Comments

For a drying rack, I use a cable with bulldog clips.
    It's not the best, but it works, and is always out of the way.

-D-