Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135971 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default My first poster attempt Process

Just thought I'd share....

My office/spare room converted to print area. My girlfriend is a bit paranoid about loosing our security deposit on the apartment so she made me cover every square inch of the room in drop cloths and old sheets. Drying line in the background with paper hung up to acclimate....

My press setup with the first screen. I havent gotten around to building a vacuum setup yet but this is working well for me right now. I just tape the two corners closest to me down with drafting tape and pull the tape off just enough to release the print when I'm done. It holds it down well and doesnt slow me down TOO much....

Comments

Printing the first color....

First color down...

120 prints first color done and dry....

Comments

Second color before....

And after....

Second color done and hanging....

Comments

My drying line can only hold about 30 prints at a time, but by the time the line is full the first prints are pretty much dry so I start taking them off the line and lying them on the living room floor to dry completely....

Color three done....

Detail....

Comments

Before the final color....

After the final color....

Done! The final step was trimming the extra paper from the right side of the poster....

Comments

And here is the original design file. I went a little lighter with the background color on the actual print....

Comments

If that's your "first attempt" you are one damn quick learner.

Looks great.

Comments

They came out better than I was expecting for my first time printing a poster larger than 8"x10" (and that was over four years ago). I had a bit of an issue with the trapping of the thin black outlines around some of the text at the top of the poster. Most of the prints came out good. I printed 120, ended up with a good edition of 100. After recouping my costs all the money made from these was donated to the Golisano Children's Hospital in Syracuse, NY in memory of my friend Shaun Luu who passed away from brain cancer. Each year another friend of his and I put on The Shaun Luu Horror Fest. We show some of his favorite horror/b-movies and have some of his favorite bands play. All the proceeds are donated to cancer research and to the cancer wing of the new children's hospital in Syracuse that was just added to the hospital where Shaun was treated. We raised over $4,000 this year. Not too shabby!

I still have a good deal of these posters left if anyone is interested...all the money from them is still being donated to the childrens hospital to support brain cancer research in Shaun's name....
    Last edited by Aaron Gein; 09-17-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by phoondaddy View Post
    If that's your "first attempt" you are one damn quick learner.

Looks great.

To be fair, it's more like my first attempt at printing a "real" poster. I printed some small 8"x10" two color things for my band over four years ago. They totally sucked. I used capillary film that was only meant for plastisol ink and the stencil fell apart after about 25 prints. It was a nightmare. I've read up a lot on printing with waterbased ink since then.

I also manage an apparel screen printing shop...so I'm not totally new to the concept of screen printing. But printing posters is definitely a different world than printing shirts!

Comments

I was being sarcastic, it's obvious you've got experience. No one starts with a 4 color, fine lines, small font design.

In any regard, it's a great looking design. Good layout, colors, illo and printing. Nice work.