Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135513 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default iPhone technical question

What should my iPhone outgoing SMTP server address be set to?

I set up my email on my iPhone, syncing it with the email on my computer. My ISP is Road Runner, so it copied the SMTP server info for outgoing mail from my Apple Mail, which is:

smtp-server.nyc.rr.com

Apparently Road Runner will not allow AT&T/iPhone to use their outgoing mail server.

I can receive mail fine. But any mail I attempt to send from my iPhone gets bounced back to me. The Road Runner server rejects it.

SO.... What outgoing SMTP server should I set this to?

I assume AT&T has an outgoing server that will work with my phone, but I don't know that address.

Could someone with an iPhone look at their outgoing SMTP server address and tell me what their phone uses?

How to:
    On the iPhone goto:
    Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > [any active email adress] >
    Scroll down to "Outgoing Mail Server" and what is in the field titled: SMTP

I'm assuming it will look something like:

smtp.att.net

Or something like that.

Thanks for any help.
    . GigantiCo . . Creative Director, Digital Strategy
    . "Chris G wants a robot body so he can function at full efficiency 24/7 x 365." Kozik

Head Honcho

Comments

I just use Gmail. So much easier and rock-solid.
    *PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS - CLICK THE CONTACT LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE*

Premium Member

Comments

we host through godaddy, so mine is smtpout.secureserver.net

my gmail is smtp.gmail.com
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I just use Gmail. So much easier and rock-solid.
    Thanks, but I have a custom email address for my domain, so I do not wish to change my email address that I have been using for almost 10 years to switch to a Gmail address.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Wilson View Post
    we host through godaddy, so mine is smtpout.secureserver.net

My host provider is ValueWeb, and they only offer an incoming mail server. Their email setup FAQ instructs their clients to use their ISP's outgoing mail server. I use RoadRunner which will not allow AT&T/iPhone to use their SMTP server.

I could always switch hosting providers, but that is not a right-now solution, it is more involved.

I just need an AT&T based SMTP server address.
    . "Chris G wants a robot body so he can function at full efficiency 24/7 x 365." Kozik

Premium Member

Comments

i'd switch hosting providers, not offering an outgoing but only an incoming server seems wonky.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Head Honcho

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Thanks, but I have a custom email address for my domain, so I do not wish to change my email address that I have been using for almost 10 years to switch to a Gmail address.
    Uhmmm .. you won't lose your domain name. Just forward all your emails to a gmail account .. then set it up so when you respond .. its FROM your custom domain. Its so simple and so good.

Send an email to clay@gigposters.com .. it goes through this server .. over to gmail. I respond through gmail .. and it appears to you like its coming from here.

It is by far the best solution for email hands down.

You can also set it to pull and send your emails with POP / SMTP - but thats just a waste of time. Just forward 'em. So easy.
    *PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS - CLICK THE CONTACT LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE*

Premium Member

Comments

Uhmmm .. you won't lose your domain name. Just forward all your emails to a gmail account .. then set it up so when you respond .. its FROM your custom domain. Its so simple and so good.

Send an email to clay@gigposters.com .. it goes through this server .. over to gmail. I respond through gmail .. and it appears to you like its coming from here.

It is by far the best solution for email hands down.

You can also set it to pull and send your emails with POP / SMTP - but thats just a waste of time. Just forward 'em. So easy.

Wouldn't that have to cause a time delay in receiving emails though?

Every mail server it pushing mail through incrementally, not instantaneously. Plus the device itself only pulls email in on a 10 or 15 minute schedule unless you check manually. Once you're bouncing through forwarding every single email, seems like you'd end up with like a half-hour delay or more, every time someone sends an email. No?

Head Honcho

Comments

I check manually. I get too many emails. (hundreds a day). I don't push email to my iPhone whatsoever. I just go to gmail.com - its formatted for the iPhone and works great.

I doubt there would be any lag. Gmail is running the best servers on the planet.

Premium Member

Comments

I check manually. I get too many emails. (hundreds a day). I don't push email to my iPhone whatsoever. I just go to gmail.com - its formatted for the iPhone and works great.

I doubt there would be any lag. Gmail is running the best servers on the planet.

I'm looking into this now.
    So am I going to have google ads on my email now?

Head Honcho

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    I'm looking into this now.
    So am I going to have google ads on my email now?
    No.