Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135960 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printer SCORE!

Comments

Default Printer SCORE!

Finally, after months of chasing Epson 3000 deals on Craigslist and eBay I pounced on a Craigslist deal for an Epson 4800 pro for $600.

Seeing as how these were going for $1200 on eBay sight unseen, I figure it was a great deal.

Does anyone else print film with this monster? Any pointers?

NO MORE TALL THIN PRINTS! - Less'n o' course I want to.

-Adrocket

Adam J Carriuolo Fine Art Silkscreen Prints

Comments

That's cool. I use the 9800 and love it. Epsons K3 inks are the most archival ink set on the market. Make sure that if the printer is set up for dyes or pigments that you stick with the ink set it's dedicated to. I'm assuming this is an option for the 4800.

Comments

Yeah, I'm certain I'll have some tweaking to do to get the right setup for dense film positives.

But after seeing the guy print out some of his photographs I realized this is a really high-end graphics printer as well.

I'm sure the glow of the deal on the printer will fade as soon as I need to replace the inks.

One good suggestion the guy had was to print out something once a week or so to prevent clogging. This makes a lot of sense to me, as I can see going weeks or months between film jobs.

Comments

Also stick with the Epson inks. Don't go to a second party's inks they're never worth the trouble they cause.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Also stick with the Epson inks. Don't go to a second party's inks they're never worth the trouble they cause.
    I've gone down that road before. The ink came off the film like charcoal.

Whatever mojo Epson puts into their inks, I have yet to come across a worthy counterfeit.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    In my experience i am going to have to disagree. I picked up an epson 3000 off the side of the street, i bought a cleaning cartridge for about 29 bucks and then 3 black cartridges for 24 bucks total. I couldn't be happier with the films i get out of this thing. I guess if you are willing to run through cleaning and purging cycles for about an hour then its not a bad deal.

Comments

dude, off the side of the street? where do you live?? next time you're walking down the street can you pick me up a 22" Samsung monitor?

Comments

oh, also...

@adrocket: what kind of positive film will you be using? I recently tried a sample of this stuff and it gets great ink density, even with my crappy printer (old HP 9300):

Ryonet WaterProof R-Film, WP Positive Film, Water Proof Film

they might be a bit on the pricey side, and it sucks that you can only get them in packs of 100, but really, i never thought i could get such good ink output on film with my printer (tried others in the past with no success). i don't know what kind of ink the cartridges for your epson uses, but i think they make them for both dye-based and pigment-based ink carts.

Comments

Sounds good, but I'm going to want to find 17" x 100' rolls, as I always want my reg marks away from the image. The sheets usually are 17"x22".

Maybe Ryonet will come around on the rolls.

Comments

you're covered: R-FILM 17"x100' Roll WaterProof Positive Film

EDIT: btw, 17" wide...that's fucking hott. also, i don't know if it has top feed-rollers, but if it doesn't, you might be able to get this film instead: Standard Inkjet Positive R-Film
    you might want to ask for samples of both. this place is really cool about sending samples, and they're quick about it too.