Gig Posters

Posters: 156255 | Bands: 135962 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Screenprinted transfers/decals for ceramics?

Heya folks, I found this tutorial about using ceramic transfers screenprinted with 'vitrifying ink' (which i assume is just some kind of ceramic ink) and I really want to look into doing this myself. I'd love to make some plates and cups and such that'll hold up and be able to be eaten off of. Searching through the archives, I notice water-slide decals but I'm not sure if it's the same thing?

So what I'm wondering is if either a) you know anyone who can or would print some of these transfers, or b) what kind of transfer paper/inks i would need to do it myself? I'm googling it up myself, but since I've no clue anything about this sort of thing I'm hoping somebody has any ideas for me. I'd probably rather just get the transfers made rather than do it myself so I know it'll come out right, but I'm open to suggestions on either.

Thanks everybody!
    -meg

Premium Member

Comments

1) You can print under-glazes and over-glazes.
    2) Print it on water-slide decal paper. I don't remember the company that makes it, but you should be able to google it.
    3) You will need to print a sealer on top of the print. I'm pretty sure a clear or transparent screen printing medium will work.
    4) If you need to thicken the glaze us a floculant. To make this dissolve some epsom salt in warm water. I'd say 1 cup warm water to 1 tablespoon epsom. Be careful! You only need to add a drop of the solution to any glaze. Don't add more than .1% or you will get a thick, nasty glaze mess.

If you don't want to go through all the trouble:
    Andy Brayman, the master of ceramic decals, sells custom sheets of decals that you can buy on his site. Easy Ceramic Decals
    They usually ship within a few days and are cheap.

This is a decent book on the subject that might help. http://www.amazon.com/Image-Transfer.../dp/1579906354

good luck!

tim
    eadsart.com
    ===============================
    http://www.eadsart.com

Thanks Tim!

Judging from the site, Andy Brayman's stuff is all a digital transfer, not screenprinted though huh? Kinda wanted to stick to screenprinted but I can probably emulate it well enough with a limited palette digitally. Definitely not too pricey though, thanks for sharing it!

If anybody else has any other suggestions I'd love to hear 'em too!
    -meg

Comments

tim,
    What is the transparent screen printing medium made up of? Does it just wash off the screen with water?

Premium Member

Comments

yeah...it's the same thing as the water based transparent base you add to inks to thin them out like this:

Speedball Acylic Clear Extender Base 1 Quart [#46419 1 Quart Extender Base] - $14.33 : Diesel Fuel Prints

or you can actually buy a clear ink like:
    Speedball Acylic Gloss Overprint Varnish 1 Gallon [#46620 1 Gal Gloss Varnish] - $50.99 : Diesel Fuel Prints

some people even print lacquer, but it has a pretty strong smell.
    http://www.eadsart.com