Gig Posters

Posters: 154962 | Bands: 135070 | Designers: 11471                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Registration / Cutting

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to printing posters and I was hoping to get some of your opinions to help maximizing my printing time.

I'm about to do a 3 color run of 100+ and I've never ran that many before. My question is this: is it better to do some test prints and try to get the print right where it needs to be on paper that is already pre-cut to size (i.e. not printing registration marks)? Or would it be better to just print the registration marks on paper that is an inch or two larger than I need and then just cut them down to size, cutting the registration marks off?

The print will have about a 1/2" gutter on each side. And I don't have access to a decent paper cutter, so I'll be cutting them by hand with an x-acto and a straight edge.

Just curious as to how you guys do your larger "by hand" runs.

Comments

Seriously — go befriend a local printing company. You need an ally with a cutter...

Z

Premium Member

Comments

call printing shops, ask them if they'll cut stuff for you on their guillotine. We print a few with Reg marks and then tape off unless they are getting cut off. Depends on the job, but in you situation, I'd just print a few then tape off the screen. Saves you that extra step.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Comments

You dont have to have reg marks on your paper to register...I suggest you look up registration on this site, get your paper cut down by a local printer/copy shop etc. and print your run...cutting by hand is very bad form

Premium Member

Comments

i would rather not cut 100 prints down by hand.

everyone that has posted so far is right.

Comments

If your not going to be able to cut the paper down and your working with the final size. I sometimes print 10 -15 sheets with the register marks and use them to register colors (set-up) then tape them off and continue printing the rest without marks

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

another consideration....you say 1/2" gutter. WAY easier someimes to print paper a couple inches wider then cut back to the 1/2" than to try and print a full colour to 1/2" of an existing edge. the paper will want to stick t the screen or make release marks.

give yourself some border if you are not going to cut the paper later - make it easy on yourself. the tape out the reg marks is a good trick. just remember to do it and watch for leaks.

seriously, next to a powerwasher and a 24 ice cold beer, an offset printer with a big gillotine is one of your best friends. save a shitpile of time - show up with beer and donuts, they will say come by anytime.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

thanks for all the help. I guess I'll go with 1.5 or 2 inches on each side and start making some calls to find someone who can cut this stuff.

i guess finding paper that is 12" by 24" is my next project. Do you think it's more likely that I'll find sheets of 18" by 24" and just need to cut them down?

Thanks guys. This place is priceless.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by korynth View Post
    thanks for all the help. I guess I'll go with 1.5 or 2 inches on each side and start making some calls to find someone who can cut this stuff.

i guess finding paper that is 12" by 24" is my next project. Do you think it's more likely that I'll find sheets of 18" by 24" and just need to cut them down?

Thanks guys. This place is priceless.
    press sheets come in all sizes, where are you located? Look for an xpedx, or mac papers, they'll cut paper that you get from them for like 10 or 20 bucks to whatever size you want.

we order 26x40 and cut down to 20x26, 19x25, and 18x24 after printing.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by korynth View Post
    You can get small quantities of large paper here -

French Paper