Gig Posters

Posters: 156375 | Bands: 135980 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default Sketchbooks (revisited)

Six years ago, Joel Menter (whatever happened to that guy?) posted a thread about sketchbooks. It was a rather incendiary thread, now made less interesting because the attachments are all dead and Art deleted all of his posts within it (the "xxoo" purge).
    Having bought a new 3.5 x 5.5" Moleskine* for jotting down ideas n' whatnot on the run, I figured I'd ask his original question: whom here uses sketchbooks? Any of those sketches turn into anything? Post the results!

*Call me a hipster douchebag all you fucking want. These things are cool, and I consider them an upgrade from the smudgy Strathmore Sketch pad I was carrying. Shopping lists are going in this, too.
    "ENM is pure sex." - Frank Kozik
    Portfolio Photos Blog

Premium Member

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Comments

I do every dam day ! Its a leatherbound affair that my sister bought from Australia. The majority of my work is doen in there, ie- quick sketches right the way through to final idea sometimes. Plus i have a ton of crap in there, labels crud from boxes , pictures.

I use bristol board cut down and ringbound for it. Allows me to sketch and use ink if I need to. I also have a moleskin shindig too, this is mainly for what I take along to meetings about stuff. Allows me again to get an idea/words down quickly.

Most of the sketches on my site are directly out of this . I'd die if I lost any.
    Art/illustration:www.switchopen.com

Posters:http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=34385

Premium Squeegeedragger- http://www.squeegeedragger.com/

Words of wisdom - a poster is the simplest idea ( public advert) and yet theres a million douches needing to yap yap yap,endlessly in some weird need to enobble their very douchisityttitty - KOZIK

Comments

I would like a moleskin but they are so expensive and a little too small for the size I like to sketch in. I really like the Aquabee sketchbook I bought and tried out. It is acid free and the perfect size.

a lot of my stuff in my sketchbook turns into real pieces.

the boxed in monster with pink was a rough sketch for a poster design for a show in SLC with CSS and Tilly and the Wall.

the drawing of the guy with the detached arms turned into a poster for the constantines.

Premium Member

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Comments

this sketch became this poster

after a lot of editing. But the initial idea came whilst I had my ipod on whilst travelling on a train.
    Art/illustration:www.switchopen.com

Posters:http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=34385

Premium Squeegeedragger- http://www.squeegeedragger.com/

Words of wisdom - a poster is the simplest idea ( public advert) and yet theres a million douches needing to yap yap yap,endlessly in some weird need to enobble their very douchisityttitty - KOZIK

Comments

I don't know if this constitutes a sketch–because I used it as is.

It's always nice seeing it when I flip through my pages...

Comments

i use my sketchbook for scribbling down ideas on the commute to work and in meetings when i'm supposed to be paying attention to something else. i would be lost without them. i tend to work pretty big on drawings these days, but they're almost always drawn from blown up photocopies of stuff in my sketchbook...

i use moleskine cahiers - lovely things they are...

Comments

MattT, would you post some?

Comments

haha - maybe...

they're damn near illegible to most people but me, and i'll have to blank out a few bits of copy (friends telephone numbers, etc...)

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by El Negro Magnifico! View Post
    Call me a hipster douchebag all you fucking want.
    Anybody that would call you a douchebag for that, would be considered an even BIGGER douchebag in my opinion. Eff em in the A, if they do.

I'm with Matt. i use my sketchbooks for scribbling down notes, ideas, etc. 90% of which might make no sense to an outsider that would look at them.

But I'm still not gonna show em, just in case...

I go through at least 2 - 3.5x5.5" Moleskins a year. I take one everywhere with me. I used to use Post-it notes while I got ideas when I was sitting at my desk. But I'd lose those after a while. I switched to Moleskins, so the stuff would be nicely collected in one spot. The better ideas, get scanned in, blown up and tweaked in Pchop, and then printed out and re-drawn. Or depending on the situation, I just go and re-draw the stuff in my larger 8x12" spiral bound Canson sketchbook. Bulkier to carry, but better for finished pieces.

Funny, cuz just last week, i went through all my sketchbooks since 2004, just to see what sort of stuff was hiding in there. There were some stinkers on those pages, but a few forgotten gems too.

In a galaxy, far, far away from the galaxy that Star Wars takes place
    Comments

Unforunately I dont sketch as much as I used to - seems like that has gone downhill over the years though, but I used to carry around a Canson hardbound sketchbook everywhere I went...I keep buying new sketchbooks, maybe get about three pages into them and then forget about them.....I have one sketchbook that I worked on my senior year in college that was filled to the brim with all kinds of stuff...kind of fun to go back and look at what was going on in my life then...here's a couple pages - note the psycho Seven-style handwriting....