Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Masking Frizzy Hair in Photoshop?

Anyone have any tips or have mastered a good technique for creating a mask around frizzy hair in an image?

I'm just working with a dvd screen capture so the resolution isn't the greatest. Right now I'm painting the mask around the subject with a brush, but doing the hair is very difficult.
    "I find it funny that this other dude is going to be quoting writings that are over two thousand years old and Robbie is going to be quoting gigposters.com." - allenboe

MrBlonde7: Ahh, arguing the finer points of semen coverage. 2007-12-05 12:11:25

Comments

It's tough, i had to do the mask frizzy hair when i did this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2489759...7604820255136/

but this tutorial might help you out:

It takes a couple tries until you get what you want, but as soon as you figure out the best way to utilize your channel masking you'll nail it. Hope this helps dude!

Premium Member

Comments

Awesome! Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll give this tutorial a shot.
    "I find it funny that this other dude is going to be quoting writings that are over two thousand years old and Robbie is going to be quoting gigposters.com." - allenboe

MrBlonde7: Ahh, arguing the finer points of semen coverage. 2007-12-05 12:11:25

Comments
    Items for Sale

i usually do a 100% hard brush in Quick Mask to rough in the head/hair area (or use the lasso tool). then i go back in with a 50% small brush and pick out shapes of hair.. depending on what the final application is, you don't need to be too precise - just enough to EVOKE frizzyness, and avoid the hair lookin too helmety. sometimes i even draw in hair to make it look a lil realerer.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

this could help...you laugh...as you try to work on masking fun.

YouTube - You Suck at Photoshop #4: Paths and Masks

Comments
    Items for Sale

this is where a wacom really comes into play. pen pressure

Comments

You don't want to go clean that shit by hand. No way. And you don't want to make your work on the original photo, you want to make a mask. If there is some contrast with the background, then that's easier. You want to make a layer mask. Start by duplicating a channel.

The video that keithdavisyoung posted is a good place to start. It's not exactly how I'd do it, but it's close. The problem is, that guy has made it too easy on himself by choosing a photo that is on a seamless white background. That is usually the end result most people are going for when silhouetting hair, so 90% of the work is done for him already. Regardless, the channel operation he does is a good one and the right place to start.

Duplicate your highest contrast channel. Up the contrast more (he uses Levels, I would use Curves, but that's just a personal preference), touch it up some.

Here is where we differ a bit more. He just uses it to make a selection and copy-n-pastes the image into its own layer. I would instead place that alpha channel into a layer mask. That way you can continue to refine it, make some manual fixes, and never touch the original art. I'm a big fan of the layer mask.

Here is another good trick=

Most people think you can only add one layer mask per layer.

Wrong-- You can make 6.

Just put the layer into a Group-- a group with only that layer. Then add a second mask by applying a mask to the group. A lot of people are surprised to know that you can even add a layer mask to a group. PhotoShop allows up to 5 nested groups. That's 5 more layer masks in addition to the layer mask on the original layer. Total, 6 masks.

That can come in handy when masking hair out of a more complex background than just a seamless white.

You can start with a layer mask using a high-contrast of a channel. Then, without disturbing your photo or your original mask from the channel, you can start a second layer mask to mask out other specific objects that may not have had the contrast needed to disappear from the simple channel duplication.

This is how I would approach it.

Comments

that's great info. didn't realize that.