Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135798 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default More layers of emulsion

I am starting to get jobs that are for larger orders and my screens are starting to break down in the middle of the run. I normally coat my screens twice on the front and once on the back. If I start coating twice/twice or more, generally, do the burn times go up and how much? Also, is it more likely that the ink will dry in the screen?

Premium Member

Comments

sounds like you may not be exposing long enough to begin with

Premium Member

Comments

i just did my first big run recently (300) and i was having the same issue. On the next screen i exposed for a bit longer. Also after wash out and dry i threw the screen back on the exposure table print side down for another minute or 2 so the print side would expose a little more in case it was under exposed.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by POE View Post
    I am starting to get jobs that are for larger orders and my screens are starting to break down in the middle of the run. I normally coat my screens twice on the front and once on the back. If I start coating twice/twice or more, generally, do the burn times go up and how much? Also, is it more likely that the ink will dry in the screen?
    I know everyone does things differently, and this is how we do them.

Coat the back twice, coat the front twice, then flip it back over to the back and scrape the emulsion with the edge of the scooper. This way the emulsion is forced in a fat layer to the front of the screen, which keeps it from breaking down better than just smoothing out the emulsion on both sides of the screen. The scrape also keeps the emulsion on the bottom of the screen (where you put the ink and squeegee) nice and smooth and flat, which helps give you a smoother pull. After coating, immediately put them on your drying rack horizontally with the front facing down, so the smooth side can dry while remaining smooth. Does that make sense? We do manual jobs of 1000 and more shirts without having to replace screens this way.

Premium Member

Comments

I do once each side.. dry flat. have printed runs of 500 no problem.

Comments

Your emulsion shouldn't be breaking down on long runs as Credo says. And GPB has an interesting approach but sounds promising. Really though is comes down to your emulsion and you exposing. I'm using a very high solid content emulsion and I only ever coat one time of both sides.

If you want a thicker emulsion via more coats then you should up you exposure times accordingly.

Premium Member

Comments

Actually at work I did the same thing for about a year, just with one coat on both sides, until my boss watched me doing it and told me the correct way is with two pulls. Both ways work fine, but the way I currently do it is more consistent with blocking out the pinholes. Try doing that and playing with the exposure time and your screens should last thousands of pulls. Also, spend more time on cleaning the screens, and you should experience less pinholes and emulsion break down

The more emulsion you put down, the more ink you lay down. (thicker stencil, more area for ink to sit in.) but 2 passes front 2 passes back doesn't seem bad. I usually do 2 front and 1 back. Works pretty good.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Printing Boy View Post
    ... until my boss watched me doing it and told me the correct way is with two pulls.
    Good boss keeping close tabs on his doped up employees. There are no right ways. I stopped coating 2/2 every time when I switched to digitally outputted films as I can hold more detail with less coats as I have to shoot for less time. I upgraded emulsions though to get away with few coats though.

Premium Member

Comments

Pffft I'm never doped up at work dude. Maybe just drowsy.

But he is a good boss. And as of two days ago, a daddy!!