Gig Posters

Posters: 154432 | Bands: 134594 | Designers: 11436                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default are their editioning rules????

so i've done my research and can't find any consistency as far as numbering and editioning / signing prints. my question is, when the prints are made is it best to keep them in the same order as printed or do you rearrange from best to worst and number accordingly with the best print as #1 and worst as #100. basically is there a standard that is kept or is it just consistency within the artist throughout time. gracias.

Comments

Try the search forums function....there has to be several threads devoted to this subject.

Comments

AN edition is made up of all prints that came out to a certain standard set by the artist. This standard is why they are signed, meaning the artist is saying that these are the prints that are representative of what he/she sees as a finished product. The order of numbering is not really done by rank, more or less just done by however they land in the stack for me anyways).

Premium Member

Comments

i do it (generally) by print quality. #45 is likely to be a better print than #278. of course, bad prints don't end up in the editioned, and get destroyed.
    most of the time we never fish!

thats basically what i have reasoned out in my head as well. you can't get good prints everytime and therefore should not be included in the editions unless of course you want to

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jayryan View Post
    i do it (generally) by print quality. #45 is likely to be a better print than #278. of course, bad prints don't end up in the editioned, and get destroyed.
    how bad is bad?
    my reg is still off sometimes, but i will tend to throw a couple in, give them to friends, or those are the phone pole ones.

nah i do as well, just some get way to heavy or way to weak thats bad, but can be very cool when you overprint colors in those weakened areas

Premium Member

Comments

Most that I know of just sign and number however they are stacked. Our printer has good quality control to make sure bad ones don't make it in.

and i know the difference between "their" and "there" just call it an off register misprint

Premium Member

Comments

the idea that prints got progressively worse goes back to etching and woodcuts or other printing processes where the plate would wear. Generally, the artist or printer would call a halt when it got really shitty..then some unscrupulous prick would get hold of the old plates and restrike the edition....Rembrant????

retard collectors will tell you 'oh the earlier numbers are the better ones' when referring to screenprints. If they ever saw an edition being printed, they would know that the prints come off the racks in no particular order, and get reshuffled for each color.

In my shop there is no difference in quality - if it is flawed, it doesn't go out. this is different for artists printing their own work, they are allowed some leeway.

jay of course can do it any way he wants, even his used toilet paper is valuable, if signed.

JR tubdumper
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.