Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135505 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default yellow vs. white mesh exposure

Ok, so i've been printing t-shirts for a couple of years and i'm starting to do flatstock. I've always used white-mesh screens and i'm wondering how much of an exposure difference there is between white and yellow mesh times.

I've read that yellow should be exposed a bit longer.....the specs on the emulsion i use said to expose 50% longer with yellow mesh....wtf were they thinking, WAY overexposed!?

Right now, i expose for about 12 minutes using halogen. I'm probably gonna just try exposing for the same time, or somewhere near it.

Comments

i've never noticed a real difference, but i solar expose in california, and at 20 seconds or so, i wonder if i even would notice the one or two second margin...i bet it translates differently with longer exposure times...ask anymac, he's the info man on this subject

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by saferseas View Post
    Ok, so i've been printing t-shirts for a couple of years and i'm starting to do flatstock. I've always used white-mesh screens and i'm wondering how much of an exposure difference there is between white and yellow mesh times.

I've read that yellow should be exposed a bit longer.....the specs on the emulsion i use said to expose 50% longer with yellow mesh....wtf were they thinking, WAY overexposed!?

Right now, i expose for about 12 minutes using halogen. I'm probably gonna just try exposing for the same time, or somewhere near it.
    If the specification says 50% more, add the 50% in more of time

Testes are always better of long elucubrations!

Fabio

Premium Member

Comments

Here's a helpful hint: Stick to yellow or white. Pick and don't change it up.

Make life easy on yourself. Or keep notes when you do your exposure tests.

Also, but a $10 exposure calculator and never worry about this stuff again.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Comments

We have meshes ranging from 40 to 420. We expose based on the mesh count not the color. Yes color makes a difference, but I've never noticed since all my 230s are yellow and all my 195s are white. True story, I used to have orange screens.

Premium Member

Comments

white .5 to .66 less than yellow. Squee3 is right too, there is a diff between mesh counts as well.

Keep a card with your times on it for reference.

you will really notice a diff in the ability of white to expose detail as you get into the higher counts.

I have an article on it and the value of good contact with your vacuum/rubber blanket - cause I got caught trying to cheat - coming out in the aug issue of Screenprinting magazine.

maybe I'll post it in the premium section?

I couldn't get the fine line around the eyes on a white screen
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

ok, so i just tried it for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer than my time for white mesh, and it came out......but took a lot more pressure to washout than it normally does.....i thought i was gonna blow the whole image out.
    Does a higher mesh count usually take more pressure, or was it still just overexposed a bit too long? If so, i think i'll just try my usual 12 minutes next time.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    white .5 to .66 less than yellow. Squee3 is right too, there is a diff between mesh counts as well.

Keep a card with your times on it for reference.

you will really notice a diff in the ability of white to expose detail as you get into the higher counts.

I have an article on it and the value of good contact with your vacuum/rubber blanket - cause I got caught trying to cheat - coming out in the aug issue of Screenprinting magazine.

maybe I'll post it in the premium section?

I couldn't get the fine line around the eyes on a white screen
    wait, are you saying you get better detail on higher mesh white screens? i always felt we got better detail and less sawtoothing on the yellow screen when over 156 mesh compared to white mesh.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by andydiesel View Post
    wait, are you saying you get better detail on higher mesh white screens? i always felt we got better detail and less sawtoothing on the yellow screen when over 156 mesh compared to white mesh.
    like my papa said, write to be understood

- I meant the white wasn't holding detail - so I had to go to yellow, this on a 305. I did a head to head test, white failed
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    like my papa said, write to be understood

- I meant the white wasn't holding detail - so I had to go to yellow, this on a 305. I did a head to head test, white failed
    ah. got it.

we've been dealing with green most of today so i'm a little slow.