Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135799 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default overlapping transparencies

ok, so I've been having a problem splicing my inkjet transparencies together. I read in the archives that the inkjet transparency users overlap their films by about 1/4". My question is: does the 1/4" overlap space of the transparency, with no print (transparent) underexpose because of the double layer of media? Also, does this cause a line in the stencil of the thickness of the transparency where it ends?

I've been cutting my films with an exacto, butting them up together, and the gap leaves a line down the middle of my stencil; then, after washout, I touch up the screen ever so gently with a Q-tip and reclaimer, which is a pain in the ass.

thanks for your help.

Comments

I line up my transparencies (overlap and all) then once taped together, flip them and using an X-acto, I cut as much overlap away as possible without leaving a gap.
    This seems to work pretty well. I rarely get the gap line to expose and get pretty solid exposures this way.

hope this helps.

-Dave-

Premium Member

Comments

you got it sunshine. the thicker/more layers, the weaker the stencil compared to single layer - holds true for gobs of tape. when we do overlaps, we tape the posis down to the table, then cut through both layers, strip the excess out, then tape the two sides together so it is single layer. you don't have to go apeshit with the tape, a few peices will do just enough to hold it all.

the edge of the film seems to like to make a line, I've found if you cut with scissors sometimes its not so pronounced.

Excellent waterbased blockout - W-1 by Saati chem
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

yeah, sometimes during washout I see a lighter colored line where light bounced off the edge of the transparency or where the tape was, but it doesn't cause me any problems.

Comments

yeah, this seems to be pretty much what I'm doing already, guess I just need to experiment with a way to get a clean splice.

Thanks, guys!

Comments

Curvy Lines.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by mile44 View Post
    I line up my transparencies (overlap and all) then once taped together, flip them and using an X-acto, I cut as much overlap away as possible without leaving a gap.
    This seems to work pretty well. I rarely get the gap line to expose and get pretty solid exposures this way.

hope this helps.

-Dave-

I have done it this way too.
    I always want to feel this way! —Sean Higgins
    the bubble process

Comments

Using a brand new x-acto blade makes crisper cuts and leaves less of a line in the screen, but I still run into this a good bit, 11x17 and 13x19 inkjet transparencies have been my best solution.

Comments

What I do is line up the films I am trying to splice and tape them down on all sides, then with a sharp exacto (use a new one everytime) I make cuts down the middle of the overlap, remove the excess film and tape both sides of the positive on the cut. Then remove all the tape from the sides of the positive, presto, done. If you cant store the film flat, its best to roll lengthwise to the tape if you want to keep it in good shape.

Having a large glass top light table to work off of helps out a lot.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong View Post
    What I do is line up the films I am trying to splice and tape them down on all sides, then with a sharp exacto (use a new one everytime) I make cuts down the middle of the overlap, remove the excess film and tape both sides of the positive on the cut. Then remove all the tape from the sides of the positive, presto, done. If you cant store the film flat, its best to roll lengthwise to the tape if you want to keep it in good shape.

Having a large glass top light table to work off of helps out a lot.
    So you're cutting through both transparencies at once?