Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135967 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default printing table suggestions

hey all,

so i'm moving to a new studio, and have awesome work tables to use as printing tables, EXCEPT the table surface is plywood. What should i cover it with to make a good printing surface? i was thinking formica, but not sure where to get it, and how expensive.

what do ya'all think?

thanks

Comments

If you're not turning them into vacuum tables then cover then with glass (with white underneath). This is a great surface to work on as you can clean anything off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    If you're not turning them into vacuum tables then cover then with glass (with white underneath). This is a great surface to work on as you can clean anything off of it.
    that sounds like a good idea. but should i worry about bumping an aluminum screen edge on it and cracking it? i plan on installing a counterweight pulley method for the screens...

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by supereightsnate View Post
    that sounds like a good idea. but should i worry about bumping an aluminum screen edge on it and cracking it? i plan on installing a counterweight pulley method for the screens...
    Get double density and it shouldn't be a problem. You can use a little Super 77 or photo mount to hold the paper down and it'll clean up with water and a razor.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Get double density and it shouldn't be a problem. You can use a little Super 77 or photo mount to hold the paper down and it'll clean up with water and a razor.
    totally read "get double dentistry" and thought:

WHATEVER THAT IS I NEED IT.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Premium Member

Comments

hellooo down there in troy... what part of the ghett.... i mean troy are you from?
    :-p

Comments

you might be able to get a chunk of formica from any of you local cabnitry companys. i got mine from lowe's. super cheap, too, since it had some damage along one side, but it didn't affect how i was going to use it.

Premium Member

Comments

I buy offcuts from the local cabinet shop for 5-$10. contact cement both surfaces.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

My local lumberyard has a cheap-ass countertop that can be bought by the foot. It has a 3" backsplash and a bullnosed front but both of those were cut off for the min cutting charge of $1. Everything wipes off this thing with some Goo-Gone and it's tough as nails. Very smooth too. It was less than $20...might have been less than $10. Great printing surface for posters and smaller pieces are on my shirt press for screening kids clothes. Look into it.

Comments

Your screen shouldn't touch the glass anyhow. On my handtable I use folded paper towels for my off-contact (hai, Looba!) and the frame never touches the table top.

But really, just build a vac table. It will cost you like $35 and will pay dividends IMMEDIATELY.