Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Speedball WB Textile Ink question.

Been buying up supplies and working hard on getting ready to try my hand on printing on fabric (for pillows!); lower mesh screens, good fabric, ink, etc. Speedball seemed like my best bet from reading on in here-- its softness on the fabric sounded good. I read also about the Versatex fixer that made it so you don't have to heat-set the ink (though I probably will iron it anyway just to be safe), so I nabbed a bottle of that too. I had a light blue and white jar of the textile ink already so I just picked up a set of primaries, thinking I can mix between them all to get some decent colors to start.

On the side of the jar though it says I can mix with transparent base to make transparent colors. So I said to myself, awesome! Then I started wondering how the ink worked. Usually when I mix ink lately I take some Speedball ink, add it to transparent base, then add in Createx liquid pure pigments to get the right color for what I want. I'm wondering though--will that work okay in a fabric application? I'm not sure how the ink 'works' exactly-- like, is it the binder in the ink that holds the color particles in place and (ideally) that will keep it from washing out? Or is there something about the way the ink is made that keeps the ink from washing out? I can't find the right way to word this question, sorry-- just wondering if anybody knows if I added the pigments into this mixture if those pigments would wash out (or would the binder hold them in?), even with the fixer. Sorry guys, I ask the weirdest questions sometimes.

I have to do some tests I know to really be sure, which I'll try more this week, but thought maybe someone might have some info before I start. I'll post with my results anyway, so in case anyone ever needs it! I'm compiling things as I go so I can do up a process post in a week or two-- figure it could be kinda fun.

PS: a tip to anybody if they're ever trying to print on flat fabric (not tees or nothin), freezer paper is awesome for stiffening up the cloth temporarily and making it easier to print on. Just iron it to the back and go.

Comments

Good tip I'll try that.
    WTF if I spill any amount of ink of any sort on my clothes it never washes out.
    I don't use speedball, but I though that I'd just say that.

Thanks squeegeethree-- you always respond to my posts, I appreciate that!

I find that happening too with my clothes-- that's a good point. I don't know whether the same will be true when I am actually intend to print on cloth-- but it's a good thing to keep in mind.