Gig Posters

Posters: 154911 | Bands: 135044 | Designers: 11471                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Scratch Process Poorman's Vacum Table

I've been tooling around the GP site for a couple of months now researching past posts and feel sufficiently brain-dead enough to try setting up a silk screen shop under my house. My hope is that this thread will assist those in a similar boat and allow anybody, who wishes, to point out good or bad points in my process to help us all improve. Thanks - Robert

I'm going to attempt to build this fine table -the directions for which I got from GP for premium members. Become a premium member and download these to better play along at home. Before I go any further - I believe these instructions were originally supplied by "Andymac" and I want to give credit for the excellent instructions to the right person. Anybody know for certain?

Premium Member

Comments

..know for certain what? The plans of the vacuum table were created by Andymac, they're also at the end of his book.

Fabio

Yeah, Andymac... pretty much credit him with everything! HAha!

Comments

Acrobat tells me that it was "Andymac" that created the PDF for this - it actually told me his whole full name - I didn't know that it would do this. In any event thanks Andy and here's some more of the building process/costs.
    I've adjusted Andy's measurements to give me a 20"X24" paper surface.

Adjustable old school drafting table to possibly mount finished vacuum table on top of. $20.00 at tip-shop

Started taking photos after I had cut the top, applied the formica and drilled the holes - here's up to that point. Had a bitch of a time finding a piece of formica of all things, finally bought an off-cut at a cabinet maker for $10.00

Top flipped over, with middle, bottom and edge spacers laid in place, room left for vacuum nozzle (black thing on the right hand side). I got jacked on the vacuum nozzle $15.00 at a vacuum shop - go to a thrift store.

Top glued and screwed spacers with some weight applied. Left to stew over night.

Next day, the bricks come off. Be sure no excess wood glue has filled any of the holes - this happened in a couple of spots to me, I just re-drilled 'em.

Laying the top onto the bottom piece and laying the hardware out to drill some holes for the registration posts.(Those square things are serving as my 2 inch fender washers as I could not find any, that big, at Bunnings(Australia's version of Home Depot). Glue and screw top to bottom and weight over night.

More to come.

Premium Member

Comments

Andy MacDougal is like the patron saint of screenprinting. Our Lady of the Immaculate Registration or some shit.

Premium Member

Comments

Ah shucks.... - and I'm not even Catholic

Looks good.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

next day, bottom and top now screwed and glued-bore holes for registration of floating hinge clamps (which I forgot to mention, I bought these at Gabba Screen Printing Supplies - $50.00 for the pair - bit high in price?

bottom view of the old drawing table that I think I will mount it on

I'm just going to re-use the original 4 screws that are in here(the quality rusty ones mounted through the green metal part, I'm not sure what all the slatting and other screws are about on the underside of this as the top is flat (no slatting) if anybody knows, I'd love to know. It almost looks like somebody has taken an existing stand alone table top and mounted it to the drafting table base.

mounted - feels good and solid

just had to try it out - I don't have any heavy stock yet, but it holds this newspaper great! *SCORE* - I got the vacuum cleaner for free off of a show I worked on - Art department bought it to keep set carpets clean and no one wanted it at end of filming.$0.00

Next step is to get vacuum cleaner off of barstool and me onto one. I think I am going to make a box that will fit the vacuum and mount it under the table base - allowing the hose to come up and out to table, and also allowing me to use some of the "bum ass stank" foam (that will be left over from the exposure unit build) as a sound baffle inside the box.

Premium Member

Comments

don't know how close your neighbours are, but you can get some 1.5" pvc pipe and ducttape and run it outside (the vacuum)
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Okay - so I spent a bunch of time burying the vacuum in a foam lined box with vent hole and excitedly turned on the vacuum only to find it really wasn't quieter - Andy, thanks for the outdoor suggestion-I'm gonna work on that one.

This probably is not applicable to many, but thought I would explain - anything "big n' heavy" in my "shop" is going to be on wheels as I will be the only one working in a small space I want to be able to move this stuff around. Obviously I don't want the vac table on wheels when I'm printing so I've made these "dollies" that I can "kick on" and "kick off" easily while I'm working.

For now the vacuum will ride down here-it's not all that loud and I've got an ipod!

Next: Get some screens and set up the counter weight!