Gig Posters

Posters: 154337 | Bands: 134516 | Designers: 11431                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default epson printers for film output - mac friendly advice

well well well.

i believe that i am getting close to the end of my lovehate affair with the free HP 2800 Business Inkjet that I scored a year ago. it's eating films by the half dozen and being a general bitch by suddenly taking a day to print one film (i wish that i was kidding) and just working and then not working very sporadically.

part of the problem is that even though this printer works with a Mac, stunningly and quite brilliantly on the part of HP you can only update software, firmware and drivers with a PC. SMOOTH HP real smooth. assjackers.

so, i'm looking for a Mac friendly workhouse printer for 13x19 films. seems like from past experience and what i've read around the web that Epson is the way to go.

any advice on which models? i'm comparing the 1400, 1800, and 2400 currently, though feel free to chime in on other models or brands. naturally spending less is more, so i am leaning towards the 1400 since it uses only (only, ha! ) 6 cartridges rather than 8.

a printer that can also print decent color prints of illustrations (not photos) would icing on the cake.

anyhoo. yeah seeking big fat opinions. what printers do you use, know and like for films, at least capable of printing 13x19?

Comments

My Epson Stylus Photo 1280 (13x19) has been a champ film-wise and handles color very well. And you can pick them up on eBay for around $200. Plus, it's just 2 cartridges. They're discontinued printers but the ink is still readily available and not too expensive.

HP is dongs.

Comments

I'd vote against a 1280- You end up wasting SO much ink, replacing a whole color cartridge when 1 color gets empty.

Epson 3000 is THE best printer. You can find them used all the time. Don't pay more than $300.00

As for drivers on OSX.. I'm pretty sure there is an open source one that supports TONS of printers.. ghost rip or somthing.. Ill check when Im back at the shop!

Comments

hp cp1700

The drivers for Vista dont support lager format papers though.

Premium Member

Comments

I've had 2 1270s and a 1280. They work really really well. I just blew up the 1280 though and am looking for a replacement. In looking at their site it seems that the 1400 is the new version. The ink is a bitch, but I figure its the cost of doing business. At least you can replace the black separately.
    Brg!
    Barricades of hamburgers divide the nation.

Comments

Epson's the way to go in my opinion, but I only know the large format one. and the super cheap desktops. I agree that you should make sure each color is a separate cartridge. I had a printer that had an all in one cartridge and it pissed me off to have to throw out all that ink just cause it was outta black.

Premium Member

Comments

I bought an Epson 1400 about 2 months ago and I love it. It does go through some ink, but all colors are seperate cartridges. The only problem that I have found is it does not work well with Corel Draw and it's standard seperation printing. I have to kind of do some work arounds for it. I rarely use Draw anyway.

Premium Member
    Comments

3000 . . and only the 3000

Comments

thanks for the advice and experience so far!

adrenochrome, do you have those issues with Photoshop or Illustrator?