Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Question About New Screens

Hi There...

I just got a batch of new screens, 110s mainly, and I know I should prep them somehow with something slightly abrasive to roughen up the polyester. Does anyone have a simple suggestion? I thought perhaps a sponge with a pad, or some Comet or something in that direction. I can order stuff from my supplier but it's 60 bucks a pop, thank you very much.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mr. Christ

Comments

search the threads for degreasing screens there's a post a week on this topic. You're this week's I guess.

Comments

Thanks for the thread tip, it was right below mine, duh?

One guy mentions Soft Scrub (cheap), another cat Microgrit (pricey).

Any other ideas??

Premium Member

Comments

just clean them with simple green to remove the greezy fingerprints you dont need to rough them up these days

Comments

thanks for your reply...

i did degrease them, and this afternoon i coated 10 screens. i worked out the correct exposure time with one of them. but even then the emulsion was giving away, i could pick off half tone dots with my fingernail. i blew out the emulsion, degreased again and tried again only sadly with the same result.

Premium Member

Comments

expose them longer

Premium Member

Comments

how small are the halftone dots? they've got to be fairly big if you're using a 110 screen.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pantichrist View Post
    thanks for your reply...

i did degrease them, and this afternoon i coated 10 screens. i worked out the correct exposure time with one of them. but even then the emulsion was giving away, i could pick off half tone dots with my fingernail. i blew out the emulsion, degreased again and tried again only sadly with the same result.
    This happens. If you coat the screen, expose it w/o film and reclaim it. You're good to go. I never degrease anymore, but I always do this sacrificial exposure and I never have any problems.

110 mesh = 25 line screen.

Comments

thanks for all your replies...

one last detail for some of you pros to chew on: these screens are coated with a fresh pot of emulsion from today. after exposing them, for almost double my standard exposure time, the area where the positive covered was washing out with quite a bit of resistance. typical for overexposure, but it was also holding to the edge of the stencil and not washing away. still after washout and drying when i went to the press and was able to take off the stencil with a fingernail or piece of scotch tape.

i'll try a little of all your advice, i think the screens could use a rugged step test in the exposure department, which i'll try in the morning. the other article on degreasing had these two mentions of fabric roughener which i will have to look into as well.

by the way... the line screen was 13, big dots.

thanks again

Premium Member

Comments

whenever i use a new screen, i usually use this orange based degreaser (imagemate 260 degreaser) and a scrub brush. i've never had a problem with the emulsion coming off the screen. i'm sure any abrasive cleaner would work to rough up the screen a bit. anyways, good luck.