Gig Posters

Posters: 156080 | Bands: 135803 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sun exposure times

Im in the process of printing a new poster. It has been disaster after disaster so far. I went to use an old screen which I had not used for a couple months.I had left the emulsion on it for too long and couldnt remove it so had to fork out for a new screen.

Cock up number two. The glass I was going to use for laying over the negative broke and cut a nice hole in the new screen losing tension and meaning Im limited in which area of the screen I can use.

So I persevered anyway. It was a nice sunny day yesterday so I thought i would take my printing to the streets. I tried exposing the screen naturally, leaving it out for 10-12 minutes but it was far too long. The screen was overexposed andnothing washed out, so its back to square on again.

How long does it take to expose using the sun?

How can I reclaim my old screen and is there a handy way of getting around a torn screen or do I restretch or even buy a new one?

Ugh!

I've exposed my screens using the sun for about 30 seconds and that seemed to work pretty well.

As far as reclaiming that old screen... the car was down the street has a handy power washer that may help out!

Premium Member

Comments

we are at 49 degrees latitude, 3 days ago in full sun I took 1.5 minutes with a yellow screen, dual cure emulsion.
    white mesh would be about 45 secs.
    In summer, the yellow drops to 1 min 10 seconds.
    This all varies according to your emulsion speed and coating and the time or year and the strength of the sun.
    If it is a big rip you are fkt. If its wood, see that stretch with staples forum thing, or take it to your local screen printing supply or local screen shop and get them to do a restretch.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Local screen printing store? You must be joking. I have to send to England just to get screens and emulsions. I think Ill be hand stretching. It wont be ideal but its the best I can afford right now.

Im guessing, exposing with the sun is never ideal since its at different heights and strengths at different times of the day and year.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by saturnalia View Post
    Im guessing, exposing with the sun is never ideal since its at different heights and strengths at different times of the day and year.
    I foresee a mini stonehenge exposure unit.

Put a piece of sturdy plastic tape on both sides of the hole in your screen. Some reinforce the ripped edges with nail polish.

Your first screen that you couldn't take the emulsion off of must have been underexposed or you starting reclaiming it then stopped. A properly exposed screen is fully reclaimable years after the initial developing. Try a power washer.

Ill try again, but I did spend a good while scrubbin gand scrubbing it.

Comments

Well, where are you? Do they have electricity there?

Maybe consider not using the sun. Lights = consistency. Not AS cheap, but not exactly expensive, either.

Comments

Almost goes without saying I suppose, but If I can't find a piece of glass bigger then my frame I duct tape any edges that scare me, i've had the glass snag before.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by saturnalia View Post
    Ill try again, but I did spend a good while scrubbin gand scrubbing it.
    that's the other thing...if you have stencil remover and a pressure washer, it comes off quick, very little scrub - unless it was underexposed, or you engaged in removerinteruptus.

Where are you? Christ, Jono was on the Shetland Islands and he was getting screenprinting supplies. YOu won't find them at the mall, but there are suppliers or shops in any medium or large city everywhere. Just have to look or ask.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

I've tried using emulsion remover but uh-uh. No dice.
    Ill try a power washer. think my folks have one.

Im living in Dublin and believe me I have looked and asked around in all the art supply stores and have only managed to find a place that supplies industrial sized amounts of emulsion. No screens. Except for the odd screen printing starter kit. There might be a hidden gem somewhere but I havent found it.

As for the glass thing, I should have known better, but I was in a rush. It was my first time printing in months after a supply shortage and I was over eager.