Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Caribou Process thread--process inks, tiny halftones..and success!

Well, this was our first process print and it was a DOOZY.

First things first, I went looking for materials. I LOVE Caribou and I knew immediately that I wanted to create some kind of magical, psychedelic landscape. I grabbed a few of my old catalogs and children's books and started looking for trees, lakes, and other objects I could twist into a landscape of sorts.

Once I cut out and scanned my source imagery I started putting it together in Photoshop. Once I had it looking the way I liked it I went with the HIGHLY DUBIOUS settings of 350dpi 58dpi halftones. Keep in mind I'm about to register and print this thing by hand...those dots were fucking tiny! But hell, I figured if the first layer looked bad I could always abort mission.

Woohoo! Not bad. Unfortunately I was too stupid to put reg marks on the transparencies, so my print-buddy Travis had to register the next layer by eye!

But he nailed it! I'm feeling REALLY cocky about now. We took a break to play some Tekken and get a little more drunk before laying down the 'Y' layer.

I don't have pictures of the Y layer..why? Because it looked like ass! Yeah, our cockiness was instantly deflated to 'what-have-we-done?-ness.' Everything looked green tinged and ugly but we figured we can't just stop with 50 CMY prints...might as well commit.

And thank God we did! The black just brought it all together! It looks so, so dope. I'm more proud of the print than any we've ever done. It's available in the classifieds in both Caribou gigposter version and a no-band art print. I hope you like it!

p.s.--we only wear matching white shirts in the print room, not in everyday life.
    ----
    AWESOME>>www.biklopsdesign.com
    tweet? >>@biklops

Premium Member

Comments

cool image. nice print job.

big studio credit.

Premium Member

Comments

what does 'big studio credit' mean? And thanks! It's the first print I've ever done that was virtually ulcer free.
    ----
    tweet? >>@biklops

Comments

looks good. sometimes halfway through a run i get the Fear too, but it can be good to just press on, especially of there is naught to be done. it's amazing how a dark/black top layer snaps it all together.

i quit using registration marks a while back. completely doable.

Comments

looks realy good. i think what he means by big studio credit is the "posters by biklops" line is big

Premium Member

Comments

Yeah, Travis is a genius at registration and no reg marks means less need for a post-print trim. Oh, p.s.--we used your paper towel bumper trick for off contact to great effect on this one!
    ----
    tweet? >>@biklops

Comments

That print is sickkk man!

Premium Member

Comments

Bahr--oh, haha. Yeah, honestly, I just wanted there to be a science-y looking bar graph in there and it made since to put the show info on the graph. There just wasn't allot of info to put in so I put my credit on one.
    ----
    tweet? >>@biklops

Comments

Good Job,...Get Ready for the ride

-loco

Comments

that rules. I really need to learn how to do cmyk stuff, but i'm pretty sure my mind would melt trying that my first time.