Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default QTX vs.TZ benefits

Hi all!

(I'm going to preface this by saying that I did search the forum already)

So,I love QTX but cost-wise its not too firendly. (I usually save up for emulsion...) My local shop sells Ulano TZ, for $30 less per gallon. I've d/l the exposure sheets, and it seems like overall it takes FOUR TIMES as long to expose as QTX? (i use a regular ol' 300W bulb @ 24" for 16 minutes in my ghetto home setup, so 4 times longer exposure STINKS!)

Right now I have limited time to expose screens and print for that matter, so I want to be able to buy an emulsion that exposes fast, makes a good stencil and washes out well.

Has anyone ever used both QTX and TZ? What are your thoughts?
    Is there another emulsion out there that is cheaper than QTX with the same results?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

Go with QX1... period. It burns just as fast and is about just as durable and its cheaper.
    Andymac will tell you though.... dont be cheap when it comes to your emulsion. I had considered switching from QTX when the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket someone had given me when i first started printing ran out. Then it made sense to just keep using it.

THEN one day my supplier only had quarts of QX1 so i tried it and it worked great... so i stayed with it.

Comments

oh I dont mean cheap cheap. I know REALLY cheap emulsion stinks. I have a couple slightly used quarts of horrible stuff.

I'll try the QX-1. Thanks for the tip!

Comments

Ive used both, and didnt notice that my exposures took longer... maybe slightly, but not 4x

I use TZ and I've never had a problem with it-- though I can't say for certain how the speed differs-- using my 1000w MH setup it takes about three minutes to expose, which was about the same as when I used 925-WR. Good burns, washes out like a charm. It's what I used when I first learned how to print in college (everybody who printed used it there, no complaints) so I have some weird loyalty to it. Haven't tried those other ones though so I can't compare. But I wouldn't say TZ is cheap quality, at least for what I need.

Premium Member

Comments

Does anyone have issues with spraying out QTX? I just started using it with a 500 Watt Hologen lamp from 26" away. I had read multiple threads where people are using 10 minutes from 24" away. Since I am in the middle of a rush jub, I thought I would attempt 11 minutes. The stencil took forever to spray out and when it did, it kind of peeled its way off. The problem with it was, the highdetailed areas would not clean up at all. I wound up using a wet Q-tip to clean up the edges and details. On the next screen, I tried 9 minutes and had the exact same thing.

Tips/Suggestions?

500 W Halogen
    26" away
    230 Yelow dye
    Coat 1/1

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by adrenochrome View Post
    Tips/Suggestions?

500 W Halogen
    26" away
    230 Yelow dye
    Coat 1/1
    I have this setup, but with 3 500W bulbs, and get great expsure and washout in about 55-60 seconds. Maybe you're exposing too long.

-D-

Premium Member

Comments

you get what you pay for
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by adrenochrome View Post
    Does anyone have issues with spraying out QTX? I just started using it with a 500 Watt Hologen lamp from 26" away. I had read multiple threads where people are using 10 minutes from 24" away. Since I am in the middle of a rush jub, I thought I would attempt 11 minutes. The stencil took forever to spray out and when it did, it kind of peeled its way off. The problem with it was, the highdetailed areas would not clean up at all. I wound up using a wet Q-tip to clean up the edges and details. On the next screen, I tried 9 minutes and had the exact same thing.

Tips/Suggestions?

500 W Halogen
    26" away
    230 Yelow dye
    Coat 1/1
    What are you using for films?

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    What are you using for films?

I am using inkjet transparencies from an Epson 1400. I just got the printer but it is the most opaque transfer that I have worked with to date.