Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135325 | Designers: 11495                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default squeegee sharpening question

I maintain the screen shop and supplies at my school....so I deal with a LOT of students that have no respect for any of the tools, including our squeegees.
    One of the blades has a rather large scrape along the printing edge (undergrads ), and I apparently get to deal with it....we don't have a sweet sharpener (state school=small budget), and I tried sanding it, but it might take me the rest of my life to get it sanded enough to get past the scrape- it's probably 1/16" or so

So....I'm wondering, will it work to clamp on a straight edge and cut it with a knife, and then sand it??

they really need to pay me more.

Premium Member

Comments

call around to sign printers, we have a place here called fb johnston, 100,000 sqft building, 5 color inline theime, 20 something die cutters, about 20 semi autos, and an 108" cutter.

shit you not, 108".

but yeah, they do it.

offer beer if they don't want to do it, or seem weird, really sell the student aspect, but offer to pay first.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Premium Member

Comments

exactly. find your local printer, make friends - shit, see if you can get some intern jobs for the students, they might learn something.....or the company might have some junk equipment they would donate.

Also....you can make a rudimentry sharpener by spray gluing strips of sandpaper to a flat board so you make a continuous strip. needs to be longer than your squeegee. Mount two guides of wood on either side, then you can rub the blade and handle back and forth. I use this to buff the edges sharp. Not sure if this would take too long in your case.

You can find used belt sharpeners sometimes pretty cheap, as many have gone to router type cutting heads.

there is also a slick hand unit that does shave pits with a blade, can't remember who sells it, Pleiger?

encore engineering (serilor own them now) make a kit you can build (or used to, uses the router bit sharpener through a table.

All you college and university people.....just a suggestion, but as a school (even high schools) you can join SGIA for $25 a year, and get hooked up to the equipment connection (donation program from industry) and the student placement connection (intern and co-op placement) or get their curriculum outlines for teaching this as a teachnology..... of course, it means accepting there is more to screenprinting than ripped paper and random squishing of ink....
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

it means accepting there is more to screenprinting than ripped paper and random squishing of ink....
    Wait, what?

Oh. You mean beer and bacon.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Comments

bacon...yum

Comments

Not the suggestion you'll want, but buy a new one. With the time you're going to spend you probaby could buy two new squeegees.
    Cutting it with a straight edge and blade will not work for you.
    Best suggestion is the find someone with the proper equipment one.

Oh and if it's the U of W at Madison you've got plenty of money for new blades.
    Last edited by squeegeethree; 04-03-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Not the suggestion you'll want, but buy a new one. With the time you're goning to spend you probaby could buy two new squeegees.
    Cutting it with a straight edge and blade will not work for you.
    Best suggestion is the find someone with the proper equipment one.

Oh and if it's the U of W at Madison you've got plenty of money for new blades.

i do this. a squeegee sharpener is expensive, sanding, cutting or whatever does not work. it's cheaper for me to buy new blades. going to trade shows will also score you free squeegee rubber.

rich

Premium Member

Comments

i always wondered if i could do this with a band saw using a guide?

Comments

i line my ass crack with 80 grit then the sticker printer slides the squeegee through there about 2 dozen times and it's all good to go.

Premium Member

Comments

roughing it up from the 120# you keep in there daily, andy?
    most of the time we never fish!