Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135517 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Exposing using paper & oil rather than transparencies

I've been recommended to expose my screens by printing my artwork on paper, then covering with oil on the lightbox glass for exposure.

Anyone do this?

Advantages? Disadvantages?

Thanks

Premium Member

Comments

i've been doing it. it makes a mess but it works. i might just switch back, i dont know if the mess is worth the dollar or so for a transparency print.

Comments

i soak the paper in oil (cover it on both sides), wipe off and let dry before exposing. works perfectly fine.
    but i guess more experienced people on here can give you the pros and cons.

Comments

Thanks guys.

I've been using a mega-strong uv light table, so my exposure time with tranparencies are about 20 secs or so. I've been having problems with ink bleeding through coated areas.

I guess using oil will give me a longer exposure time and a more solid coated area?

Premium Member

Comments

I use big sheets of 20# Bond and oil, works fine for me - even with little teeny tiny halftones.

Comments

I cant get that shit to work..... I use transparencies.

Premium Member

Comments

I do it cause I can get get them printed huge. Plus no place in town will print film for me (can't really afford it even if they did), and don't feel like tapping together 11X17 transparencies with 45 dpi halftones, not gonna happen. Thats just me though.

Comments

I cant get transparencies to be opaque enough... I use tracing paper and pens... but am going to try out amberlith soon. If that doesnt work, I may try the oily paper trick again, but I have the mess.

Comments

We use this method for everything. Getting large sized transparancies is just too costly for us. It is messy. but if you use your noodle you can keep it under control.
    As for pro's and con's,
    Pro is that it is cheaper!
    Con is that you can loose detail.
    The oil absorbs into the paper, changing the size of the paper ever so slightly, so prints that involve tight registration won't always come out as easy. Also you get air bubbles between the paper and emulsion that can either mess with you image if not flattened and weighted properly, and sometimes effect the exposure.
    Make sure to clean up your exposure unit afterwards, cuz that shit gets sticky when it starts to dry and can glue dust to the glass...
    I use vegetable oil, or corn oil, baby oil smells nice, but is too thick. Stay away from olive oil...

Comments

I just did this for a 20" x 30" poster by blowing everything up on a blueprint xerox machine. Halftone and everything and it was fine. Check the Phenomenauts poster I just did. Used xerox and oil.