Gig Posters

Posters: 154540 | Bands: 134637 | Designers: 11444                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Svecia

Comments

Default 1978 Svecia

Anyone have any experience with this one?
    I donīt know the model name or number, but itīs a 1978 Svecia with a print area of 51 x 40 inches (130 x 100 cm).

I got a lead on one for 750 bucks. I assume it is in good working condition. Is that a good price?

Thanks

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

Anyone have any experience with this one?
    I donīt know the model name or number, but itīs a 1978 Svecia with a print area of 51 x 40 inches (130 x 100 cm).

I got a lead on one for 750 bucks. I assume it is in good working condition. Is that a good price?

Thanks
    Ask Andymac...

I am told they are great machines but it is impossible to find parts for them.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Comments

I have never worked on one but, I hear that there very well made and acurate. Andy Mac would know more about them.

-loco

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Ask Andymac...

I am told they are great machines but it is impossible to find parts for them.
    oh...but you're in Norway, so maybe easier for you to find parts.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Comments

Thanks. Yeah, Itīs a Swedish brand from what i can gather.

Hey Andy - know anything? I think the picture is of the exact press in the state that itīs in.

Iīm looking for my first screen printing machine, and this seems like itīs maybe a good deal.

Premium Member

Comments

They were the best in the world, manufactured in Sweden and then the USA from just after WWII up until the early 2000s. After the company passed from the founder to his kids and the middle management marketing dicks and shareholders, they screwed up real good and it went bankrupt. If that is the press, and it cycles without clanks or grinds or shudders, and the top is in good condition, and all the controls work, and it comes with squeegee and floodbar sets you have a beauty, It looks very nice.

Being in europe, you can probably find parts and service people, and this being older, it doesn't have much in the way of electronics, so it would be a decent buy. You might compare it to buying a 1978 Mercedes.
    Svecia machines were built super tough, known for going hard in production, and the sliding table design was copied and is still used by Theime in Germany (currently the leader in screenprinting technology) Atma, and a raft of chinese knockoffs.
    One of the things that killed them was they got into a lot of other machines (dryers, stackers, etc) and their high cost and a slowdown in purchases, and a lot of infighting in the USA branch, and the rise of digital, caught them offguard.

Unlike a conventional clamshell press, the table shoots forward, and you load your paper or stock. When the table goes back in, the suction holds the material in place. the screen drops a few inches and the print is pulled. On semi auto mode, the table comes back out and you take the print off and put another on.

In auto mode (this is where these presses really shine) grippers hold the paper as the table goes forward - the paper drops on an internal conveyor that delivers it out the back or side onto a dryer or table. this was way faster than the old way with clamshell action, which required the stock to be removed before another could be placed on the table. the fact the screen barely moves is a bonus, definately no chasing ink to the back or access isssues. the screen and squeegee assembly rise up to get under for cleaning.

this is a big machine, designed for serious production.

If it clanks or doesn't work smoothly, is missing parts, or you have no mechanical abilities whatsoever, maybe you should pass.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

i've worked on one of those and would buy that for the price if i could do a hands on test with it, if it works then you've got a real bargain there.

it's a bit scary at first because the table really flys out fast and there is no safty to stop it, so be careful and always stand next to the table and not in front of it when operating. the foot pedle is actually the brake which a bit tricky to get your head around at first.

i would try to get in contact with service men who could have a look at it or get a quote to fix it if broken. you wount regret it.

cheers
    oli._________

Premium Member

Comments

Oh yeah, and if you get it, don't lean backwards under the table to clean it and accidentally hit the 'screen down' button with your leg, like my stupid biz partner did, it almost killed him.
    We broke a squeegee that was leaning against the machine when it went up -the squeegee then slipped under the frame - when the dumbshit operator brought frame down, it snapped the squeegee handle.
    I still have bruises on my gut and hips from that table.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

OK. Great feedback Andy and Oli. Sounds like a beast to be tamed.
    Iīll post it here if this goes anywhere.

Thanks

––
    Erling

Comments
    Items for Sale

I would never buy a 1978 Mercedes!