Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Printing onto blank CD-Rs

Ok,

Hello,

Questions:
    My band is self releasing an EP. We are getting the packaging printed for us at Standard Form in T.O. But we can't afford getting them Pressed. So we will be burning them ourselves, and hopefully silkscreening a basic one colour design onto each of the 300 cds.

Has anyone here silkscreened onto blank cds? what is the best kind of cd to use in terms of the top. my guess is that thermal would be the best in terms of absorption.

I can imagine the cradle that would be needed to print cds.

It seems easy in my mind, but maybe there are some complications I am not seeing.

Enlighten me, please.

I tried searching but you can't search "cd" so...

Jory

Premium Member

Comments
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm an asshole!

Ass, Grass or Cash... No-one designs for free...

posters / Facebook / Gallery Work / Ad/Promo work / WWW.SKULLUXE.COM / Big Cartel Store

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I've done this several times, it's easy. I just used the same inks I use for everything (TW) and it worked like a charm, onto plain old uncoated plastic CDR's. No adhesion problems.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

try compact disc maybe? I've wondered this before, but seems like a pain in the ass to me.

Comments

We use UV inks. Otherwise we get the CD's for inkjet printers and print WB. The jig is easy, but reg can be difficult depending on the number of colors.

I've printed on the white inkjet ones with house paint and it worked well.
    I did two colors. I had some really small registration marks in the first color at the edge of the CDs. I just lined those marks up with marks on the jig when I printed the second color.

oh, and my jig was just a couple pieces of mat board, like I normally use for registration tabs. I did about 100 CDs and the emulsion did start to wear out a little where the squeegee kept hitting the edge of the CD. It wasn't a big deal, but using a piece of cardboard that covers the whole printing surface and cutting a hole out of it for the CD probably would have been better.

Comments

ok, i guess solvent based on uncoated "raw" cdrs works best. yeah the jig i was imagining would be simple. cardboard or particle board. very thin. with a circle cut in, then cardboard in the circle to make the cd flush with top of board. some sort of minor adhesive to prevent the cd from sticking to the screen. and boom! easy as pie. i wont be need registration caus i will be printing black, with the band info in negative. so "haunter" will be silver (same as disk) and the "backround" will be back. maybe ill post pictures when im done.