Unfortunately workshops and posters don't always pay the rent so I take on commercial jobs to make up the difference.
This time, it was printing a logo on some wood blocks. The blocks were about 2 1/2 inches square (or at least were supposed to be - more on that later) so I had to create a bit of a jig to deal with them.
My original plan was to gang print multiple blocks at one time to speed things up. What I came up with was an L-square that I clamped to the press, and I set the hingeclamp bar on top of a couple of scrap blocks, then clamped those down.
I then used a bungie cord to hold all the blocks in place.
This system actually worked okay, except that I discovered that the blocks weren't actually square, so the uneven edges and sizing meant I couldn't get the squeegee to touch the surface of each block.
Also, I found to my dismay that the bungie cord system was less than ideal when my test group of blocks jumped up on me right into the screen.
After that I just used a bit of spray tack from the t-shirt press to prevent them from moving and that worked fine.
Because of the irregularities, I ended up having to print each block one at a time. There was 750 total, double sided, and because of the transparency of the ink I pretty much did two pulls per side, so all told I did over 3000 pulls on this job. The sharp edges also wore down the screens even with tape to protect them, so I burned a new screen every day.
Took me three 8 hour days, but I spent most of the first day dicking around with the press and dealing with the various problems.
All told I only messed up 5 blocks out of the 750. A new record low for me!
Finally, all boxed up and ready for pickup. This job paid the rent for 2 months. Phew!
I picked it up from the same shop I bought my drying racks from. It dates to the mid 60's at least, not sure the manufacturer. It's actually kind of crap. I get better results from hand pulling on the other press.