Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135960 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default FNG looking to do some decal printing

Hi all, been lurking for about a month and have read damn near every thread in this forum. Now that my brain is soaking wet with the aggregate knowledge of this wonderful group of printmakers, I need to actually start doing something.

Okay, here's what I want to do: print waterslide decals onto gummed paper for use on scale models. I know the basic process but I have some fairly specific issues that I won't be able to resolve without spending money. That's where I need some guidance. I'm having a hard time finding lacquer ink and I can't afford to print UV ink. Where can I find some quality lacquer ink in small quantities (Nazdar only wants to sell in gallon size)? Is there any waterborne ink that might be suitable?

And yeah, I'm gonna go Premium one day soon...

Contact all the print shops around you that have been in business more than 20 years!

Premium Member

Comments

second that. I knew a guy had a wack of laquer ink, was doing skateboards, but switched to waterbase. I`ll check, but it would be problomatic shipping used from Canada.
    there are other compnies besides Nazdar. check on sgia.org in the virtual trade show.
    I did a lot of decals in the day, we only got laquer to work well. an excellent ink, but rank.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member
    Comments

Did you actually contact nazdar? I have Nazdar laquer inks in quarts (59000 series), and I can order just about anything in quarts from Nazdar. Y

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

pm slowboy, he prints insanely detailed scale model car decals in Germany. With, like, 27 colors. Stainless steel meshes. wow.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

I always feel a little bad for people who's first project is something
    as difficult as this.
    It's like saying "I read a pamphlet about swimming and now I'm ready
    to swim the english channel."

I'm not being a smartass.
    Good luck Chief Joseph.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

A lot of people make custom decals on an Alps printer. Much more practical than screenprinting them.
    Decals on Alps Printers

Also ask the forums at SteelNavy (formerly Warship): The Web's Best Ship Modeling Site or ModelWarships start page
    They are the GP.com of scale model ships.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Comments

[QUOTE=crosshair;1475849]A lot of people make custom decals on an Alps printer. Much more practical than screenprinting them.
    Decals on Alps Printers

Hey Crosshair,
    I've been making commercial decals with Alps for about five years now. Those printers were the greatest thing since sliced bread for making waterslide decals but the Kyoto Treaty put the kibosh on the factory that produced the Alps printers and ink ribbons. They are rapidly becoming non-viable as a production platform. There's nothing else that can print white in the consumer market, soooooo..... back to basics.

Steve w, thanks for your prayers! I'm not screwing around-- I stand to lose a substantial income if I don't switch to a different process. I'm already doing chemical etching and urethane resin casting so what's one more hazardous material in the mix?

Nazdar says they have quarts available, just not on their website, so I asked the customer service lady to have the regional distributor contact me, but I've heard nothing. The regional Inktech distributor is apparently out of business, and I'm still waiting to hear from Union and Candoc on the availability of their inks.

Andy, all the screen printers around me are either textile-only or use UV and/or digital. Nobody has anything just sitting on a shelf.

Thanks all!

Premium Member

Comments

Chief,

I've been printing water slide decals for the last 15 years or so, more for the vintage hot rod market. Magazines like Hop Up, The Rodder's Journal, websites like the Jalopy Journal and such... the inks are still available, and the paper. McLogan's in LA carries the paper and NazDar lacquer inks, but only in clear, white and black. I've probably got enough colors to last me until the next millenium, as I bought out the stock of another printer a few years ago when he retired.

It's out there, you just has to look. Plus, maybe you should fill in a couple more things in your profile, as doesn't say where the heck you are...that helps.

Jim Sorenson
    "That's the way I like it, baby, I don't wanna live forever - and don't forget the Joker." Lemmy

Comments

Hey Jim, I'm in Alabama, USA! Candoc got back to me today and I'll try to get some samples from them. You mention you have enough to last a while; do the lacquers have a decent shelf life? I wouldn't be too adverse to getting them in gallons if I knew they wouldn't dry up in the can before I could use 'em up.