Gig Posters

Posters: 154402 | Bands: 134588 | Designers: 11434                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Suggestions for a larger format printer?

Well, we have gotten a job to do posters for a venue on a regular basis so I am going to have to search the couch cushions and scrape together enough to buy a printer that will print 11 x 17 (or bigger?) transparencies.

I know that there have been a few threads on here where you guys suggested some printers that you use, but for some reason I can't seem to find any of them by searching the forums. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated!
    What is to give light must endure burning.

Lookee here:

Deaths Head Designs
    Gigposters.com posters

Premium Member

Comments

Congrats on the venue!

You should defintetely go bigger than 11 x 17. Make it worth your while if you have a steady stream of shows to print for.

EDIT: And you should print on vellum, not transparencies. You will save a lot of money. At school we use film, and we've been through at least 3 or 4 rolls (which are crazy expensive) and around 4 ink cartridges ($70 EACH) since the fall.

Comments

Epson pro series, pigment not dye, bigger than you think you need.
    For sure not only 11x17. Something like the 4880 or 7880.

Premium Member

Comments

I use an Epson 3000 for ones up to 17" x 22". They are really cheap on ebay and pretty reliable if not abused.

I use an Epson 7600 for the posters now, which goes to 24". I use Dye ink as the film for that is cheaper, but it was a huge pain in the ass to convert the printer from pigment to dye. The darkness is acceptable but the 3000 actually gives me darker positives.

In my experience, I get far better detail using transparencies than vellum. Costs me about $2-$3 for a 32" x 24" film.
    My Gallery of Posters: http://www.popfuel.com/gallery

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Epson pro series, pigment not dye, bigger than you think you need.
    For sure not only 11x17. Something like the 4880 or 7880.
    what's the difference between pigment and the dye? We've used the dye inks with out 7600 for years now.

Premium Member

Comments

vellum gets wavy when it's humid.
    I run 19 x 24 dura-lar through the OSE machine at kinkos
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Premium Member

Comments

From my research on the subject, you have to use films specifically designed for pigment, and my experience with my dye film in the pigment printer holds that out.

The pigment films are about 20-30% more expensive and harder to find than the more common dye films. I converted my 7600 to dye so I could use the same film in both my 3000 and the 7600.
    My Gallery of Posters: http://www.popfuel.com/gallery

Comments

The pigment prints cleaner IMO (ie crisper dots). They say the film is for dye but I've never had a problem printing the pigment on the dye films. I get a true black with it as well. The pigment prints a lot better on paper as well.

Comments

canon i9900 works for me. prints 13x19 transparencies well

Premium Member

Comments

Well, it wasn't my choice to do 11x17 and I tried to talk them into bigger, but that's what they want, so I'm stuck. I've never tried vellum, but since my work tends to have a lot of detail and fine lines I was concerned that vellum couldn't work for me. I suppose I need to try it so I know for sure. At least I'm getting paid for the posters (enough to cover the expenses plus a bit, I think) and I'll, hopefully, be able to sell some of them, too. Though they haven't booked any bands yet that I think are particularly salable. I know Carnivore's manager so I'm trying to get them in touch with her. Those should sell. Heh, maybe if I help with the booking I can get some cool bands to do posters for. lol.

The bad news is that I'm going to have to scrape together enough money and it won't be much since my company just laid me off. I'm not sure if I can spend more than $300 right now and that's a stretch. I'm sure in a month or so things will be better, but I have to do find a solution quickly since the venue wants so many posters so soon. I've got 3 to do before March and 2 need to be done in the next week. eep!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Printing Boy View Post
    Congrats on the venue!

You should defintetely go bigger than 11 x 17. Make it worth your while if you have a steady stream of shows to print for.

EDIT: And you should print on vellum, not transparencies. You will save a lot of money. At school we use film, and we've been through at least 3 or 4 rolls (which are crazy expensive) and around 4 ink cartridges ($70 EACH) since the fall.
    What is to give light must endure burning.

Lookee here:

Deaths Head Designs
    Gigposters.com posters