Gig Posters

Posters: 156064 | Bands: 135791 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Cat Power Toronto - Process Thread

This poster was my first collaboration with Alice Phieu (evilalicecorp) so I thought I would take some cellphone photos as it progressed. This poster was printed over a two-day period.

Alice drew the girl in the tub and sent to me as a Photoshop file, and I built up the rest of the design around that central theme using a combination of CorelDRAW and Photoshop. I'd show that process but my PC is out of comission and Corel doesn't work on mac.

After a few back and fourths we ended up with the following finished design.

So, with the design finished and approved by the promoter, it's off to the studio.

First up, let's coat some screens. I use QTX emulsion. Safe to handle in room light.

Then into the drying cabinet with them.

While those are drying, time to print out the films. Thank god for the Epson 7600 printer.

So the screens are drying and the films are printing, let's mix up the ink. $8 mixer from Wal-mart saves a lot of time and effort.

I skipped over the burning and wash out of the screens, but you get the idea. Time to start printing.

Very important to flood between each print.

Our first colour - light blue.

This is about 1/3rd of the way through the 100 print run.

When I'm done, I like to clean and reclaim the screens immediately. Avoids most of the hazing issues and things clean up faster and easier.

Here's the second colour - split fountain green with some transparency overprint on the blue. Easy way to make more colours than you actually print.

Then the black.

Here's a shot of the cleaning prints (monoprints) on the silver run.

And finally, a bad shot of the finished poster clipped up to the wall. All done!

Wish I had a better shot of the finished poster but my digital camera broke, so all I have is the cellphone. Anyway, hope you like the process thread.
    My Gallery of Posters: http://www.popfuel.com/gallery

Comments

looks good to me

Comments

Nice process. Just wish that maybe Alice's illustration was stronger in lineweight. Seems to get pushed back a little by the really heavy borders / ornament.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasygoat View Post

Then into the drying cabinet with them.

i love that drying rack. i need to build one of those soon...

Comments

good goin' guys!
    i may be adding to a couple of your monoprints while i'm in the studio tomorrow, Jeremy.....

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

great process pics.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Quote Originally Posted by evanplain View Post
    Nice process. Just wish that maybe Alice's illustration was stronger in lineweight. Seems to get pushed back a little by the really heavy borders / ornament.
    I concur!

Or kept her illustration line work the same light blue as the water in the tub, and filled the character white. It would POP. If that makes sense.

I unblocked FG to see this. Nice print!

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by evanplain View Post
    Agreed. Great concept, especially with the parts of the girl risen above the water, but weak execution.

Still, I really enjoy that split fountain. And thanks for posting a process thread. I like em.

Premium Member

Comments

wait, i'm confused. where is the 'cat power' type on the last picture with the black? what am i missing?

Comments

the cat power type was silver ink on black