Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default Time to build a new printing table

finally getting around to building a new home setup, and this time it won't damage my back like my old table ...
    i'm following andymac's plans as a starting point, but am planning to build a surface to accommodate 24 x 36" screens. i'm also going to build this so it can be mounted without hardware on top of a wedge structure that will sit on top of my flat files, so i can print at an angle. ideally the wedge will house the vacuum, and will be enclosed and foam-baffled to cut down on vacuum noise. or is this a ridiculous idea (ie will the vacuum overheat if in a relatively closed housing?
    here's where i need input:
    any recommendations for horsepower on a wet/dry vac? any good but cheap models you can recommend?
    i heard something about someone designing a table with a pressure switch for the vacuum that turns it off when you lift the screen. does anyone have a link to that info?
    those of you that have built an angled table: what's a good angle to work with? i want my back to love me.

thanks in advance.

Casey,went to your myspace page and listen to Polvo..Love it!..Math rock..very cool..love that noise band vibe..I know this has nothing to do with your table but...thanx for the turn-on.

Comments

i just asked andy mac about the suckfest the other day...here's what he said:

Re the vac, any household unit will give you enough suckage - you do not require any massive vacuum, after a certain amount the suction does not increase - I use alittle shark sometimes on a 24x36 size, works fine. Better to use a smaller home unit and put it in a box to kill the sound. You can pipe the suction to the table through 1.5" pvc plumbing pipe if you want to locate the vacuum in a closet or outside the room.

Premium Member

Comments

i have a real small shop vac that can be replaced for 30 bucks if it ever quits. i also got an extra hose and stuck the vac in the crawl space in the next room of the basement and then i use a xmas tree foot switch to turn it on and off. small vac works great, you just have to cover all the extra holes with paper or tape.

Comments

thanks josh. maybe i'll have the vacuum enter through the bottom rather than the side ....

and yes, polvo were the shit.

Comments

yea you still need let me put the led lights in it so the holes glow

...cause that would be awesome when we are having raves

i bought a (momentary on, button type) switch from home depot when i was building my table, and put it in place right under the hinge clamp. the button is pressed when the screen/hinge is down, and is not pressed when the screen comes up. it took some figuring out, a little more than andymac's plans, but it works. i also wired the switch to an extension cord, so i can plug the table in, and plug the vacuum into the other end of the cord, and the vacuum turns on when the screen is down. i don't have pics of this, but i do believe someone else posted a thread with pics.

i'm moving into a place with a garage in a month, and i plan on building a new printing/working station, and will post lots of pics of that project. i did see someone's process thread that included a vacuum table which was made of plexiglass, so it was backlightable...that thing killed. i dunno if i've got that much to spend on supplies...all the plywood for my current setup was dumpstered...

Comments

brenda....

she's of the hinge, yo

Comments

I don't understand the benefits of having the vacuum turn on and off when the screen goes up and down.
    seems like a weird technical hassle.
    plus wouldn't you burn out your vacuum faster turning it on and off
    every pull?
    we just let ours HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by Tooth View Post
    I don't understand the benefits of having the vacuum turn on and off when the screen goes up and down.
    seems like a weird technical hassle.
    plus wouldn't you burn out your vacuum faster turning it on and off
    every pull?
    we just let ours HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    i've got roommates. and i like to print at odd hours. my print runs aren't that many, so as for the burning out the motor issue, it's prolly a wash.