Gig Posters

Posters: 154460 | Bands: 134610 | Designers: 11442                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Printing on hockey jerseys

So, I've gotten a request to print some hockey jerseys, but I don't know if it'll work. The jerseys are the CCM practice jersey style, nothing fancy, but I'm not sure if waterbased inks will stick to the fabric very well. I've only printed on cotton and paper, so this fabric is new territory for me.

Is this a job for Plastisol inks? Anyone out there have any experience with the holey jersey fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by John Boys View Post
    So, I've gotten a request to print some hockey jerseys, but I don't know if it'll work. The jerseys are the CCM practice jersey style, nothing fancy, but I'm not sure if waterbased inks will stick to the fabric very well. I've only printed on cotton and paper, so this fabric is new territory for me.

Is this a job for Plastisol inks? Anyone out there have any experience with the holey jersey fabric?
    This isn't advice about what to print with so much as where to print. From what I've seen, printing directly on the jersey doesn't look all that hot. What I recommend is printing on sturdy, hole-less fabric, cutting it out, and sewing it to the jersey. It's extra work, but it looks infinitely better.

Premium Member

Comments

will save you a LOT in screwups too.

Absolutely a job for plastisols.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Quote Originally Posted by 9pod9 View Post
    This isn't advice about what to print with so much as where to print. From what I've seen, printing directly on the jersey doesn't look all that hot. What I recommend is printing on sturdy, hole-less fabric, cutting it out, and sewing it to the jersey. It's extra work, but it looks infinitely better.
    No, I'm definitely not asking what to print, but more printing on a jersey with waterbased ink would work.

That's a good idea about sewing a seperate piece of fabric to the jersey, but I don't know if I want to go down that road. Me and sewing hasn't been a good combination in the past.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    will save you a LOT in screwups too.

Absolutely a job for plastisols.
    That's what I thought...

Premium Member

Comments

it depends on what the fabric is.
    Back when I worked at a t-shirt place, we had to print some kind of synthetic fanny-packs or something and we had to use a water-based ink and add a catalyst (very toxic).
    With fabric with holes, it might be best to print on heat-transfer paper
    and then transfer it to the jerseys.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Premium Member
    Comments

it's either 100% Polyester or 100% Nylon. If it's polyester then you need to use (as in no screen printing half-assing what if I mix yogurt with my speedball will it stick, stuff) a 100% polyester, non bleed plastisol ink. If it's nylon then you need to use a nylon plastisol ink and set your heat temperature so it doesn't get too hot. Nylon will burn/melt very close to the ink cure temp. You can also try using a nylon bonding catalyst that will lower the cure temp, but it will have to sit for a day or so so the ink is properly corss linked.

Polyester, when heated to 340 will off gas the turn the ink colour to whatever the colour of the jersey is, so you need to make 100% sure you have a low/non bleeding ink to prevent the colour shift, as well as assuring the garment reached the proper cure temp. Hot polyester also smells like burning chemicals . . my nylon ink smells like melted chemical chocolate.

Direct printing looks fine on hockey jerseys, you just need the right inks and heat settings.

Premium Member

Comments

I'd listen to this man... he is from the town that has the OHL Kingston Frontenacs as well as the Kingston Pen...
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm an asshole!

Ass, Grass or Cash... No-one designs for free...

posters / Facebook / Gallery Work / Ad/Promo work / WWW.SKULLUXE.COM / Big Cartel Store

Premium Member

Comments

don't listen to me.
    It's been about 20 years since I've printed shirts
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Premium Member

Comments

oof - can you job it out to a sports team uniform place?

yeah, I know, lame, but burning a bunch of $50 nylon jerseys sounds pretty bad, too.
    API Local, Member 025 - Hack For Life!
    http://www.fnharsh.com
    http://fnharshdesign.bigcartel.com/