Gig Posters

Posters: 154337 | Bands: 134520 | Designers: 11431                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: coating screens

Default coating screens

This is a newbie question. I just ordered some 23"x31" screens. Now I'm trying to determine the correct size squeegee and scoop coater to order.

Question: Is it okay to get a 26" scoop coater and coat my screens short side up? Does it matter which direction I apply my emulsion?

Any reason I shouldn't do this? (Just trying to save money 'cause I want to also use the scoop coater on larger size screens.)

Premium Member

Comments

Just buy a smaller one and do it vertically. Then for the bigger screens, do two overlapping vertical swipes to cover all the mesh.

Comments

Generally it's easier to print with a smaller squeegee as you only have so much force you can exert (unless you have a giant head as a counter balance). This force gets distributed to the squeegee blade pretty evenly across the entire length.

Premium Member

Comments

I would get a 19 inch scoop coater and pull it the length. The bigger a scoop coater gets the harder it is to handle. I would also stay away from doing 2 overlapping swipes with a coater, you will always have a flaw in the coating of the emulsion near the middle of the screen instead of close to the frame where it doesn't matter.
    I always want to feel this way! —Sean Higgins
    the bubble process

Premium Member

Comments

Are you saying it gets too thick in the middle? My boss told me to use two coats and we never had problems.

Comments

All depends on the set up i tried it before and it worked fine. Then i changed a few things around and the overlap was a pain in the ass, so i bought a bigger scoop coater. I have an 18" coater that works perfectly since I dont print edge to edge anyway. I also use that same coater to coat a smaller screen horzontally. I have a smaller coater, but fuck filling it up and cleaning it all over again.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Printing Boy View Post
    Are you saying it gets too thick in the middle? My boss told me to use two coats and we never had problems.
    We often coat our six foot screens with overlap. It really depends on what type of image is falling in the overlap. If it's a flat then no big deal. If it's a 85 lpi dot then you may see the overlap.

Premium Member

Comments

Hmmm are you talking about half tones or the mesh count or what? As far as 85 lpi goes.