Gig Posters

Posters: 154832 | Bands: 134967 | Designers: 11470                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default TW Ink issues: dry time and "mountains"-- how to stop 'em?

Hi everyone! Long time/no see!

So, I recently upgraded my black ink from Speedball to TW, and man does it rule! Drys nice and semi-shiny, opaque and thin. It looks real professional to my eyes. There are, however, some issues:

Drying Time: man, does it take forever! I'm used to hanging up about 25 posters, then start stacking them. We had TONS of posters stick together because the seemingly dry TW black layer was NOT. How long does it take? Do I need a drying rack to use this stuff?

"Mountains": So, at first the TW was going on real nice and thin. About half way through the run the screen was starting to act tacky, sticking to the paper and stuff, and the ink being laid down as thick, with sort of mountains of ink in places. Like ridges of ink. I assumed as it dried, the ink would settle down but no, it dried in big mountainous clumps in places. Should I of added a drop or two of water?

I'm getting ready to do a bunch of fine-art prints that are just black-on-white, so I need to get this shit down!
    ----
    AWESOME>>www.biklopsdesign.com
    tweet? >>@biklops

Comments

Mountians: Off contact. Vac table or spray mount beneath stock. Squeegee pressure/angle during floods and pulls.

I remember in some old thread people saying that TW black can be thinned a lot.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

A drying rack is pretty much essential kit.
    The ink will take longer to dry where it overprints an earlier layer.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Comments

I like the look of TW, but man Gloss Paint/Speedball is my new love!
    Mountains also known as Halos!

Premium Member

Comments

What ratio do you mix gloss paint and speedball?
    My Gallery of Posters: http://www.popfuel.com/gallery

Premium Member

Comments

keep thinning your ink during the run. TW will start to thicken after about 50 pulls. Keep adding new thin ink, and eventually stop, scrape, mix with water and keep going. TW can take a lot of water.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by fantasygoat View Post
    What ratio do you mix gloss paint and speedball?
    do tell!

Premium Member

Comments

if you have a 230 or higher screen, you can add up to 1/3 water. If you notice it building up on the surface of the stencil, flood thcik, then pull and it will scrape clean again. keep adding water until it is printing slick or starts to bleed. somewhere in there is the sweet spot.
    if it is sticking or you are flooding and the paper is still incontackt you will get a lumpy ink lay.

Drying....2 things I know by experience ....don't stack wet prints...sometimes surface dry does not mean it is all dry.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by mountains, but sounds like off contact and vacuum issues (as stated) Are you using the 5500 or 5000 series. The 5500 dries faster being matt and all. If you thin down the ink use distilled water which you can get at any drug store by the gallon. Regular tap water's Ph and mineral content can cause a worsening of what you're experiencing.
    We keep a spray bottle full of distilled water. As soon as the ink starts getting tacky we print and quickly mist the screen w/o flooding. Then we flood the screen and the emulsion comes clean again. Then add some fresh ink and print off some garbage sheets to get the extra water out.