Gig Posters

Posters: 154460 | Bands: 134607 | Designers: 11442                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments
    Items for Sale

Default prepress color question

hey. so i am setting up a brochure and a poster. the brochure is two-color on coated paper and the poster is digital on matte/uncoated. They need to match. So for the brochure I am indicating Pantone coated colors.

The question(s): Can I specify the same colors for the digital poster and have them come out looking the same? Or do I need to eyeball a different/equivalent pantone color out of the uncoated book? Or am I completely overthinking it? Or is this all up to the printer, and all I have to say is "make em match"?

Comments

Thumbs up

Good question... I'd be interested in hearing about this too.

That wasn't helpful now was it...

Premium Member

Comments

just tell them to match the pantone.

most printers can get pretty close, but don't be surprised if it's a little off.

Comments

If you have the ability to print the uncoated piece first and then base the colors forvthe coated off of that it might be best. Uncoated papers will dull the color ( that's why there are separate PMS books for each).

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Unitus View Post
    just tell them to match the pantone.

most printers can get pretty close, but don't be surprised if it's a little off.

so basically you're saying that color matching is the printer's job, not the designer's? they can tweak that stuff once they get the file.

I get uptight about this stuff. I don't want them to charge the client extra to deal with something that I should've dealt with.

(I'm trying to talk the client into using the same paper for the poster, which will hopefully make this conversation moot - or at last change it to a spot vs digital offset question)

* this is why I love making graphics for onscreen use only.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by standard View Post
    so basically you're saying that color matching is the printer's job, not the designer's? they can tweak that stuff once they get the file.
    yes, to a degree.

i didn't even notice the part about one being coated, and one being uncoated.

but yeah, you can give them an exact cmyk match, and like dusty said, it's going to dull out on uncoated stock. even on the same stock, i have problems with color-matching cmyk vs. pantone. (and that's using the help of pantone's own color bridge)...

if you have time, print one first, then have the printer match the second one. they can often do the fine-tweaking on press, if it's close to begin with.

Comments

Ask for press okays. Different presses (web, sheet fed) and different stocks can wreak havoc when doing color critical matching.

Since it's 2-color, you have a lot better chances of getting a good match. If it's all 4-color process then things can get dumb fast.

A good pressman can nail that shiz, but sometimes they need another set of eye (ie, yours) to make it right, hence the suggested press check once it's up and running.

Premium Member

Comments

yeah. you'll be doing a press-check on this one.

Comments
    Items for Sale

hmm, maybe that's the answer. they need the brochure soon (it doubles as the event mailer)... the poster they probably don't need til a little later.... thanks for the input people.

one of the greatest challenges I have with this job is figuring out where my responsibility ends and someone else's begins.

Comments

It's always your fault.

Shit.

Rolls.

Down.

Hill.