After posting a sketch in the Sketches- show em' thread I received a request for a process thread. So here it is.
Some of the photos are shitty, well most of them, but you still can see how I kinda work. I say kinda because I dont alway work the same way.
So here we go.
This time I decided to start by sketching my main idea. I dont always work with a sketch. Sometimes I paint directly on the surface (wood, paper, illustration board...) or i draw directly on the surface with charcoal.
When I am satisfied with the sketch I usually scan it right away to show off on gigposters.com. Haha.
This is the final sketch.
When I am done wasting time reading recipes on Gigposters.com I decide what size the painting will be. Then I open the sketch file in photoshop and print it out in parts to fit the canvas size.
Then I tape the parts together to be able to transfer it to the canvas. I place the print out on top of the canvas (In this case gessoed birch panel) with a sheet of carbon paper so that I can transfer my drawing while keeping the right proportions of the sketch.
You can see the print out and the pen lines in this photo.
Once that's done I can start painting. It is best to do an uderpainting, that way you can better plan how you will add color later. I also find that it add some dept to the painting. I also use Liquin. Yes I heard that It might turn yellow in the long run. Oh well, for now that's how I work.
I use "burnt umber" oil paint for the underpainting.
I like to work with cheap dollar store aluminum cooking trays to mix my colors because I suck at cleaning my stuff.
And here we go, we are adding color to the underpainting. I like to start by the background and keep the fun part, the characters, for the end. It's also easier to work that way for me. In this one I wokrd loosely on the wall and the skull dude. (Bad Pics starting......NOW!)
More work on the skull dude and I also started working on the bottle that he is holding as well as the arrow...
More details on his theets.
Ahhh, working on the lady. I started with the body this time. Usually I stat with the face. Not sure why.
At first I was going to do a redhead but it didnt work with the color scheme I was working with. I decided that she should dye her hair black. She agreed. I added some details to the frame in the back, some sun spots on the skin too.
For the bed sheets I had to go with something light to balance with the with the frame in the background and I decided that she would be wearing some of them thick white fishnets too
Skipping to the final because the other photos were too terrible.
I didnt put any tattoos on her like I planned to do at first. I decided that it would be too busy in that one. I am pretty happy with the end result.
Here are some close-up scans of the painting. My brush stroke is a little looser than when I was working with arylics. I love oil paint.
Warning! Giant nipple!
Work area...with a cool Peter Ferguson original painting.
Well, that's it. I hope you guys enjoyed.