Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135217 | Designers: 11482                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default Johnny Crap "Fun Times" painting process thread.

After posting a sketch in the Sketches- show em' thread I received a request for a process thread. So here it is.

Some of the photos are shitty, well most of them, but you still can see how I kinda work. I say kinda because I dont alway work the same way.

So here we go.

This time I decided to start by sketching my main idea. I dont always work with a sketch. Sometimes I paint directly on the surface (wood, paper, illustration board...) or i draw directly on the surface with charcoal.

When I am satisfied with the sketch I usually scan it right away to show off on gigposters.com. Haha.

This is the final sketch.

When I am done wasting time reading recipes on Gigposters.com I decide what size the painting will be. Then I open the sketch file in photoshop and print it out in parts to fit the canvas size.

Then I tape the parts together to be able to transfer it to the canvas. I place the print out on top of the canvas (In this case gessoed birch panel) with a sheet of carbon paper so that I can transfer my drawing while keeping the right proportions of the sketch.

You can see the print out and the pen lines in this photo.

Once that's done I can start painting. It is best to do an uderpainting, that way you can better plan how you will add color later. I also find that it add some dept to the painting. I also use Liquin. Yes I heard that It might turn yellow in the long run. Oh well, for now that's how I work.

I use "burnt umber" oil paint for the underpainting.

I like to work with cheap dollar store aluminum cooking trays to mix my colors because I suck at cleaning my stuff.

And here we go, we are adding color to the underpainting. I like to start by the background and keep the fun part, the characters, for the end. It's also easier to work that way for me. In this one I wokrd loosely on the wall and the skull dude. (Bad Pics starting......NOW!)

More work on the skull dude and I also started working on the bottle that he is holding as well as the arrow...

More details on his theets.

Ahhh, working on the lady. I started with the body this time. Usually I stat with the face. Not sure why.

At first I was going to do a redhead but it didnt work with the color scheme I was working with. I decided that she should dye her hair black. She agreed. I added some details to the frame in the back, some sun spots on the skin too.

For the bed sheets I had to go with something light to balance with the with the frame in the background and I decided that she would be wearing some of them thick white fishnets too

More details.

Skipping to the final because the other photos were too terrible.
    I didnt put any tattoos on her like I planned to do at first. I decided that it would be too busy in that one. I am pretty happy with the end result.

Here are some close-up scans of the painting. My brush stroke is a little looser than when I was working with arylics. I love oil paint.

Warning! Giant nipple!

Work area...with a cool Peter Ferguson original painting.

Well, that's it. I hope you guys enjoyed.
    Last edited by Johnny Crap; 01-08-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Fixed the Mom Banner thingy.

Comments

Awesome.

Comments

christ almighty! amazing. thanks for showing your process!

Premium Member

Comments

Wow!
    "when folks stop being real, and start fucking each other like rabbits just before armageddon" ~John A

Purchase Posters-
    http://mazza.bigcartel.com/ - www.philaarts.com - www.lonestarposters.com

My Posters-
    http://www.gigposters.com/designer/31393_Jim_Mazza.html

www.mazzaart.com

In the shadow of the Empire State Building
    Comments

you just all remember who asked Crap for this.
    It was me, Steve "show me your tits" Chanks!

Premium Member

Comments

Goldurn you are good. Awesomeness abounds.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Comments

this is amazing, thanks for doing a process thread

In the shadow of the Empire State Building
    Comments

thanks Johnny!
    It was really cool see just how you go about it.

My favorite things in this piece are the reflected light on the skull and the girl and the inviting design. You really get the feeling you sitting on the edge of the bed.

killer job

In a galaxy, far, far away from the galaxy that Star Wars takes place
    Comments

You forgot a pic of you sacrificing the goat to Satan.

INCOMPLETE

Comments

Unreal Skills