Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135183 | Designers: 11479                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Exposure question

So I did my first ever exposure tests today using S.E.X. emulsion with a 500W Halogen. I did a step test from 2 - 28 minutes with the light 30" away. When I began washing out, My images appeared almost instantly however, it would not wash out all the way through. It is almost like it exposed correctly on one side but did not get through the emulsion on the squeegee side.

When I began rinsing out the squeegee side, I noticed that the emulsion began to peel off like it was underexposed. Is it possible that the emulsion is being laid on to thick? I could easily tell by looking at the image that I had underexposure up to the 10 minute mark and overexposure at the 24+ mark.

Any ideas?

Comments

wet the back side down first. Then rinse out from the exposed side, but it basically sounds like its over exposed.

Are you using a scoop coater?

Comments

If your step test broke down on the squeegee side for every test (and I assume you had the print side towards the light), then you're screen is under exposed. Try putting on a thinner coat, 1/1. and decrease the distance from screen to bulb.

Premium Member

Comments

So I did the exact same test only I went from 10 minutes all the way to 45. Once again, I can not get the stencil out. This time the squeegee side did not fall apart though. I do not know where to go from here. I figure by the time I get a stencil right in test, I will have to order more emulsion.

I guess I am going to do a test between 1 and 10 minutes now.

Premium Member

Comments

So I just did the test from 1 minute to 14 and it is the same damn thing. I just don't get it.

Premium Member

Comments

I seem to remember SEX emulsion as some cheap shit? Lets give it the benefit of assuming it works...you need to provide more info about your methods if you want some answers. otherwise it's blind guesses. Photos help

1. is it diazo based (did you add the activator?) or is it one pot? (ready to go)
    this will determine time and it's sensitivity to outside light if it is one pot, it could be overexposed even at 2 minutes

2. coating - using a coater? how many coats each side - does your coat look even and thin, or is it uneven with dark and light spots?

3. mesh count/colour? low count can be twice a s long as high count, white is 1/3 to 1/2 faster exposing

4. Describe your exposing frame/glass/lamp setup - picutres?

5. Positive - what kind of posi do you have

6. when you are doing the step wedge, how are you moving your blockout paper?

7 Washout - do you have a spray nozzle?

8. Is your screen drying in the dark?

Lets start here. Answer these before you do your next test.

My daily rant - not directed at this post's author, just beginner slickscreamers who insist on cutting corners for the sake of a few cents then wonder why it doesn't work......

I am counting screens from a quart of emulsion on these GP calendars I'm printing(see thread). so far I am at 11x 4'x4' (16 sq ft) and have about 1/3 left - so that's about 10 cents a sq ft. ($25/qt, 240 sq ft yield)
    I never understand why people cheap out on emulsion. the cost of doing one screen over (in time, reclaiming, stress, etc) negates any gain between a premium dual cure and some bargain stuff that has a narrow exposure latitiude, and what do you save? 2-4 cents a sq. ft?
    I don't for one second buy the arguement "I don't have any money, I can't afford 'pro' stuff" Stop drinking and smoking and buying coffee and cell phone time for a week or two and you can buy everything you need to print posters for years.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

1. is it diazo based (did you add the activator?) or is it one pot? (ready to go)
    this will determine time and it's sensitivity to outside light if it is one pot, it could be overexposed even at 2 minutes.
    This is one pot.

2. coating - using a coater? how many coats each side - does your coat look even and thin, or is it uneven with dark and light spots?
    The first screen I did seemed to be a bit heavy, we had some serious drippage when we got to the top of both sides. This screen was set to dry for 48 hours and never saw direct light.

The screens since then have been relatively thin and smooth, I know that on the second one, we could see wave patterns. We have since gotten rid of that problem.

Currently we are using 1 coat on both sides. Yes, we are using a scoop coater (the sharper side.)

3. mesh count/colour? low count can be twice a s long as high count, white is 1/3 to 1/2 faster exposing
    We are using 230 mesh screens (yellow dye.)

4. Describe your exposing frame/glass/lamp setup - picutres?
    I am using a 500 W Halogen work light (UV filter removed) hanging from the ceiling.

1/4 inch Tempered Glass (no uv protection)

Right now the glass/screen is set at 30" from the light.

We also did a test with the glass removed just in case we were getting some uv blockage, and we had the same results.

I will try to score some pics tomorrow.

5. Positive - what kind of posi do you have
    We are using clear transparency run through a black and white laser printer.
    6. when you are doing the step wedge, how are you moving your blockout paper?
    I have my test positive setup with various designs repeated every 2 inches. I am currently beginning the exposure with the first two inches exposed. Every step, I am just sliding my blockout sheet down to expose the next 2 inches

7 Washout - do you have a spray nozzle?
    Yes indeedely doo! Straight from Victory Factory.
    8. Is your screen drying in the dark?
    I am going to say yes. However, my setup is located in the back corner of the basement. All of the windows are light protected but we do (very rarely) use the light on the other side, which is a 60 watt standard bulb that gives no direct light to the other side.

I believe my second screen was completely untouched by light during dry time though.

My daily rant - not directed at this post's author, just beginner slickscreamers who insist on cutting corners for the sake of a few cents then wonder why it doesn't work......

I am counting screens from a quart of emulsion on these GP calendars I'm printing(see thread). so far I am at 11x 4'x4' (16 sq ft) and have about 1/3 left - so that's about 10 cents a sq ft. ($25/qt, 240 sq ft yield)
    I never understand why people cheap out on emulsion. the cost of doing one screen over (in time, reclaiming, stress, etc) negates any gain between a premium dual cure and some bargain stuff that has a narrow exposure latitiude, and what do you save? 2-4 cents a sq. ft?
    I don't for one second buy the arguement "I don't have any money, I can't afford 'pro' stuff" Stop drinking and smoking and buying coffee and cell phone time for a week or two and you can buy everything you need to print posters for years.
    I had no idea that S.E.X. emulsion was the cheap stuff. I know that most people deter away from 1 pot but I had already ordered it before I even gathered that opinion.

Trust me, I am by no means trying to cut corners on cost. I have spent months and months gathering up my needed materials along with spending hours researching from your book as well as this site.

I can't think you guys enough for all of the help.

Premium Member

Comments

That SEX stuff sucks. Notice how they give you your first quart for free?

As always, listen to Andy. He knows everything. Seriously.

I had the same problems you're having. Then I got an exposure calculator and some decent emulsion. My problems vanished.

Try the 2/2... I've found it works better. Also, I dunno about anyone else, but I use 2 500W worklights for 10 minutes on 23x31 yellow 230s. And I heartily endorse Ulano QTX
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Comments

I had problem with SEX emulsion. Took awhile to figure out it was the emulsion cause it was brand new. After trouble shooting everything else figured it was the emulsion. I've heard of people that love it though...

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustRickG View Post

Try the 2/2... I've found it works better. Also, I dunno about anyone else, but I use 2 500W worklights for 10 minutes on 23x31 yellow 230s. And I heartily endorse Ulano QTX
    I have the exact set up with same screens and exposure time, just curious but how long are you exposing for and what's the height of your lights?