Gig Posters

Posters: 154460 | Bands: 134603 | Designers: 11439                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Question for T Shirt printers

Sometimes when I print on American Apparel shirts i get a problem where the fibers of the shirt poke through the ink and cause a rough print. I think this is called fibrillation. Have any of you guys had this problem and if so how did you stop it?

A tight screen and sharp squeegee blade will do wonders!

Comments

Try different print techniques like:

flood the screen, wet print, then a dry print

that helps me alot!

Quote Originally Posted by TWOFOUR View Post
    Sometimes when I print on American Apparel shirts i get a problem where the fibers of the shirt poke through the ink and cause a rough print. I think this is called fibrillation. Have any of you guys had this problem and if so how did you stop it?

American Apparel tees actually have a great surface, really nice yarn that is smooth. The rib-knit...eh, not so much.

You didn't specify shirt color or ink color or what type of ink.

Let's assume white ink, black shirts?

One technique for light on dark printing is to flood/hard pass/soft pass.

The first pass drives the ink into the fibers a bit and the second lays the ink lightly on top of the first deposit. The second pass should have just enough pressure to pass the ink through the mesh completely.

The other option is print/flash/print.

Different inks have different qualities as far as how much they "lay down" the fibers when printing on darks. Most water based inks suck for this. There are some excellent plastisol inks for this, my favorite in general are the Wilflex varieties.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by TWOFOUR View Post
    . I think this is called fibrillation. -24
    You need a defibrilator.

Comments

print flash print works really well for light colors on dark garments. I do find with Large areas of light prints (like a 8x8 white rectangle), i'll need to P/f/p twice, and print a third to get it really sharp.

also my favorite white plastisol is Triangle phoneix white, super smooth, easy to use, and super opaque.

Comments

UPDATE: problem solved.

I switched inks and got new squeegee blades. I also found that the problem was only really happening on one certain color AA shirt. If you haven't tried one stroke inks give them a try. the EJ Special White is really smooth and covers well.I can get better coverage out of one pass of one stroke versus print flash print of other whites.

Thanks for the help.