Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135960 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Relinking lots of images in CS3

My work just switched to a new server, and all of the linked files in our InDesign documents are broken now. InDesign wants to update them one by one. Does anybody know of a plugin or script to update them all at once?

the old link shows up like... All:blah:blah:photo.jpg
    I need to switch them to... NewServer:All:blah:blah:photo.jpg

so I just need to add the new name to the beginning of everything. seems like it should be pretty easy, but I'm clueless.

Comments
    Items for Sale

maybe diff. for servers, but when that happens on my local computer, i find/relink the first file it prompts me for, and then it automatically finds every other graphic in that folder. so assuming you keep all your linked things in 1 folder per document, you SHOULD only have to fix it once.

The photos are all separated into folders based on categories, so I guess it won't do that for me. "Fix Links Automatically" isn't doing anything automatically.

A lot of times I also wish there was a way to have links relative to the document, rather than a complete hard wired path. Like you can do with html links.

turns out that all of our .eps files somehow lost their previews too.

and stupid quark even doesn't allow you to relink by typing in the path, you have to dig through folders and find the images again.

ugh.

Comments
    Items for Sale

i thought previews were supposed to be part of the InDesign file. embedded low-res jpgs.

i'm messing with some older quark stuff right now... we just recently switched (thank god) to indesign.

i think this is a problem with the eps's, which are mostly logos, though. they were saved with previews so that they could be seen in quark. now when i fix the links, they show up as gray boxes saying "PostScript Picture" and the filename. if i open them in illustrator and re-save them i can get the preview images back.

i thought the previews were embedded in the eps files, i don't understand how they could disappear.

Comments
    Items for Sale

i have a similar problem with looking at older EPSs in Bridge. pre-CS3 (or maybe CS2) epss won't preview. but reopen and save and previews appear.

Comments

I always embed images so you don't have that problem later.

At my job, one person can start a schematic drawing... and someone else will end up having to make a "quick change" for someone else (as if they can't wait until lunch is over) and if something is linked... god knows where the other person linked the file from. Usually from their cluttered desktop. So I always cover my ass and embed. It makes for some HUGE files, though....

Maybe keeping your linked files in a folder within the job called "linked photos" might help in the future. If your directory paths didn't change from one server to another, it would seem like the "repair linked images" option you mentioned would work.

Sounds like you just have to do it all manually.... crappy. :P

But, hey, job security, right??

Yeah, the problem is that they directory path did change... all of the old server is now a folder on the new one. I don't know enough about the server to try to put it back the old way. I can see the share points, but don't know how to change the name of the server or add a new one. Oh well, there's only 4 of us that use it so I guess we'll just fix things as we go along and it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

And, yeah, rather than embedding images, I think we have enough space now that we'll do "collect for output" when we're done with the documents. We'll end up with multiple copies of images on the server which is kind of dumb, but it should alleviate link problems in the future.

Thankfully things are slow now, or I'd be smashing my face against my desk.

Comments

We're usually slow this time of year, but this year we are still in full swing....

but I always want to smash my face into my desk here, busy or not.

Office full of assholes and crybabies.

I spent a 12 hour day yesterday recording my drum parts in the studio for my band's new album.... a 12 hour day here would make me want to hurt someone.

damn responsibility.

WILL DRUM FOR FOOD!!