Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Printing white on black?

Another noob question for everybody...

I have been reading about how large sections of ink tend to curl up papers which brings me to my first dilemma. I will be running my first prints ever in the next few weeks and the design that I plan on printing is a solid black and white. I would say that the image is almost 70% Black with an interior white image that makes up the rest.

Should I consider using white ink on black paper or should I just deal with the curling? I guess I need to know if their is any pain in the ass when printing light on dark.

Premium Member

Comments

post an image of the art!

Might have to print the white twice? Like print all the whites. Let dry, then redo that.

I have a HUGE Mike Giant print that was done with white ink on black paper and it looks sick.

Someone on here printed it. Just can't remember who!

brazo negro perhaps?

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by adrenochrome View Post
    Another noob question for everybody...

I have been reading about how large sections of ink tend to curl up papers which brings me to my first dilemma. I will be running my first prints ever in the next few weeks and the design that I plan on printing is a solid black and white. I would say that the image is almost 70% Black with an interior white image that makes up the rest.

Should I consider using white ink on black paper or should I just deal with the curling? I guess I need to know if their is any pain in the ass when printing light on dark.
    I just dealt with the reverse of this in my first screenprint. I printed black on white paper and the image was as you described. My paper curled, but eventually straightened out pretty well. It was 100 lbs paper.

I was actually planning on printing white on black, but the paper I bought was too thin and curled really badly. I ended up reversing the design (black on white) with thicker paper and it worked fine.

http://www.gigposters.com/forums/scr...reenprint.html

print dry print. use a low mesh (195, it correspond to 77 in french)

if you print dry print be sur you can keep a tight registration

yeah mike giant print is one of my crime

Premium Member

Comments

As you can see, there is not a whole lot to it but a ton of ink! If I go black on white, it will leave me a nice border but if I go black, I would want the print straight to the edge.

i'd print black on white in this case

Premium Member

Comments

easier to print the white (make sure it is opaque) through a coarse screen -160-200 mesh

You should get good enough coverage

If you print black, it's going to stick to your screen most likely, even with a vacuum. If you do go with black, print it through a higher mesh screen (less ink - 250-280) and if you have room tilt it on your screen, with the feet pointing up and angled closest to the hinges. Print slow and let the paper release behind the squeegee.

this way when you start the print the paper doesn't stick immediately, it can start to release and you will have a better shot at getting it to peel/release properly. with a big flood, you hit that even on the edge with a squeegee it will just want to stick to your screen. I guess that's ok if you don't mind halos and marks in the black, because you will be peeling each one from the bottom of the screen.

but if you haven't printed much go with the least ink/white.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

with a good tensioned screen the paper shoudn't stick to the screen i think. i already printed big surface and each time i take a screen which at least got a minmum tension of 16/17 newtons