Gig Posters

Posters: 154962 | Bands: 135070 | Designers: 11471                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default luck with Capillary Film?

I've used Ulano TZ for about 55 different posters. Has good exposures and washouts 85% of the time. But I'm thinking about trying Ulanocut CDF Matrix Capillary Film (http://www.dickblick.com/zz433/29/) especially since they boast exposure flexibility and easy reclaiming.

Anybody have experience with this good or bad, esp in comparison to emulsions like TZ or QTX?

thanks,
    Anthony

Premium Member

Comments

better check its compatibility with waterbase inks.

it's way more expensive per sq ft compared to direct emulsion

we used it for years for certain applications - prints great detail, but not so resistant to cleaning during runs. We used to stick it on, then top coat the screens to make it tougher.

Application can be tricky, and screens have to be clean and degreased properly to accept it and have it grab good.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

i hate that crap. it's much easier to just use emulsion out of the bucket

Comments

It's a useful thing to know how to do. Invest the time to figure it out. Now that I've done it a few times I'll probably never do it again.

Premium Member

Comments

backwards rollon method always worked best, unless I had some dust or shit on the screen.

I agree with punkfisher

sq3 did you print any waterbased production runs. we used autotype cap18 or something like that.

they use tons of this in electronics printing, because it gives you a pretty accurate ink lay (or at least control over the thickeness)

ever try the precoated mesh from Sefar?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Alright, that gives me my answer. Stick with the emulsion bucket. I'm not about to do anything fancy like degrease the screen. I print in my apartment using very redimentary methods.

The mesh I use is pretty broad, I use I think 135 gauge Sefar from V-Factory. My prints aren't precise works of technical brilliance, thass fine by me.

But—might switch to QTX. I've been using TZ since printing on my own but am thinking about starting with QTX after I finish this gallon. QTX—more forgiving in the exposure dept? Easier or harder to reclaim? Right now I'm using a 500w halogen at 19 minute exposures.

Thanks all, thanks Andy.

Anthony

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    backwards rollon method always worked best, unless I had some dust or shit on the screen.

I agree with punkfisher

sq3 did you print any waterbased production runs. we used autotype cap18 or something like that.

they use tons of this in electronics printing, because it gives you a pretty accurate ink lay (or at least control over the thickeness)

ever try the precoated mesh from Sefar?
    No, we never did use WB inks. I really liked the results. So sharp. I did a really nice 100 lpi halftone with it once.

The cost must be quite steep for Cap film now. I used to use Autotype 5 star for a long time. I agree, the detail can't be beaten.

The joys of amazing detail were often crushed when I wash the center of the letter "R" out though. Great stencil, just don't touch it for fuck sake!

Premium Member

Comments

unless I had some dust or shit on the screen.
    Andy prints with elk poop.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

this is the stuff i use in my classroom. once i figured out the technique, it worked great. i dont pay for it, so cost does not matter.

its true it doesnt hold up well after washes.