Gig Posters

Posters: 154781 | Bands: 134775 | Designers: 11465                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default questions from a newcomer

ive been reading these trying to learn as much as i can before investing any money into equipment. all of you have been a huge help to me so far. i have a few questions about poster printing that are probably pretty stupid so please bare with me..

1. water based speedball inks or permanent acrylic speedball inks??
    2. when rinsing screens, is it safe to drain in a bathtub that is going to be used again?
    3. ive read a lot about keeping color registration by printing onto acetate and then sliding your paper under it to align your registration. does anyone know where i can find this type of transperancy big enough to register a 20 x 24 print?
    4. does screen "reclaimer" really rinse out exposed emulsion so screens can be used for multiple exposures?

any input would be awesome!

Premium Member

Comments

1. acrylic (if those are two different things)

2. depends on the ink and chemicals you are using, and it will probably stain your tub over time.

3. i would try other forms of registration. Just tape your positives in place to one of your sheets and line it up looking thru the screen. use a long strip of paper attached to the back of your sheet so you can move it around under the screen. you might even need to print a couple before you get it lined up perfect. also, registration will be no fun whatsoever until you use a vacuum table. If you register as a premium member here, you can get some free plans to build one by our resident wizard.

4. thats what it does. depending on your emulsion and the brand, you will probably need to scrub it in a little bit then rinse it out, and you will most likely have to use a power washer.

5. beer.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ferg2001 View Post

Comments

5. beer

oh cool, i didnt realize that you would be able to see the image in the screen well enough in order to use it to register like that. thanks a lot! i will check that book out aswell.

Comments

1. Me—acrylic. For some reason waterbased inks seem to take a long time to dry and mix erratically. But that's just my experience. And I use acrylic base or transparent base—not transparent extender base. It turns everything to a thin soup, a bitch to print with

2. I've used my bathtub as a wash basin for about 60 different posters and projects. Just hit it with comet every couple months if you want to keep it presentable.

3. Yeah. But you don't even really have to print on the acrylic. I just line it up with my color separation (on tiled acetate) and put little paper corner tabs down so I know where to put my paper's corner edges.

4. Yeah, totally. Did you think you needed to restretch new screens for each poster? No. 4 blue made by Ulano is pretty universal and effective depending on your emulsion.

Dean, it might be a good plan to get yourself into a screenprinting class or linking up with someone who screenprints to learn how to do it. Figuring it out completely on your own is tough. I'm sure others have done it effectively but it's gonna be a lot of headaches at first. Even I took a class and worked with others but was still a lot of trial and error when I started exposing and printing with my own setup. This forum is a good resource for the nitty-gritty specifics but for the broad strokes the best way to learn is by observing, I think. Best of luck. It's fun once you get the swing of it.

Premium Member

Comments

never buy the speedball water-SOLUBLE.
    it doesn't cure to the paper.
    "I guarantee, the image will not be fade off and you will be pleasure it too. " - a bootlegger
    We need to print a tshirt "Avoid sucker effect!"-Fabio
    "fudge isn't sharp"-phoondaddy

Comments

ps—

2. Emulsion dries like hard plastic. Make sure to wash that stuff down the drain real good with lots of water. Or your plumbing will lock up completely over time.

Premium Member

Comments

yeah, get the speedball permanent acrylic ink. mixes/cleans with water, but won't wash off the paper when it dries. the water soluble stuff is terrible.